Bobbi's Blog

Spring Break – Geek Style

Listening to: Band on the Run — Paul McCartney & Wings

MDR,

Let’s get one thing straight right now. I don’t party. Spring break on the beach with thousands of other drunk college students? Not my cup of tea.

I know that some of you will think this strange — that you must be wondering how I could possibly enjoy my spring break if I didn’t spend it somewhere out of town with a large pitcher of margaritas on hand. But you forget…

I’m a geek.

Moreover, I’m a geek with some really great, equally geeky friends. That being the case, I had the pleasure of spending my spring break doing things such as: tandem Simming, playing competitive partner dominoes, simultaneously working on three computers from my bed, and learning that, in a pinch, a dismantled tampon will make an impromptu sidewalk chalk applicator. (see pictures for details)

My friend Janet, aka Twit drove down from Missouri for her annual visit. If you read my previous post, you’ll remember that game I play called The Sims? The one that got me to Texas and introduced me to Kelly? Well, I met Janet because of it too. Both Simmers (that is the technical term for one who plays The Sims), both writers, both a little quirky, Janet became one of my best friends.

So Janet made her annual twelve hour pilgrimage from MO. She brought with her two laptops… because I am the resident software fix-it-person in our Simmers Group (yes, there are more of us.) From Thursday evening until Sunday, we proceeded to be uber-geeks. Both of us in my queen bed, me playing The Sims on my desktop, her playing on her laptop, with me running my laptop for the internet connection.

Maybe it doesn’t sound fun to you… but for us, it was awesome. If you don’t know much about The Sims, it’s a game that allows you to create people, build their houses, grow them up, send them to college, get them married and breed them. The people… Sims… have DNA that they pass along, just like humans. And then there are some really weird things, like alien abductions, werewolves, and vampires (oh my!) Think of it like a really big, electronic dollhouse, with full customization ability, for adults. This is the kind of stuff that makes me giddy with excitement. I love software.

We did pull ourselves away from the computers long enough to do things like go play 42, a partner domino game, with Kelly and her hubby and to take the famous “Twit Was Here” picture (this is why I needed an impromptu sidewalk chalk applicator, if you were wondering.) Because Janet travels so much, and because her name is Twit, she got into the habit of doing a “Twit Was Here” photo wherever she visited. Last year, we went road humping to take the picture…

I’m waiting for the gasps and concerned murmuring.

Road humping is NOT as bad as it sounds. It’s just that everywhere else on the planet, there are SPEED BUMPS. Here in Austin, we have ROAD HUMPS.  Naturally, these warrant picture taking.

This year, we went for a much more take chalk drawing. But my lack of cotton balls or q-tips (because my chalk was not in sticks, but in a tray like eyes shadow) required me to be more… creative… in my application. Suffice to say that it will be a memorable “Twit Was Here” photo.

So yeah… my spring break was pretty tame comparatively, but it was just the break I needed from the insanity of my school schedule.  Am I ready to be going back? Not at ALL! But I am refreshed and I just have to keep reminding myself: EIGHT MORE WEEKS!

Until Next Time

Bobbi

photo of Bobbi