Melissa's Blog

“Spring Break UT Style — A Guide to Your Free Week [picture!]“

What do you get when you mix the following:

• 28 hours in a car
  • High winds
  • Clouds
  • Bikinis
  • 3 people squeezed in a bed meant for 1
  • Wristbands
  • Lots of permanent marker Xs
  • Sooo much seafood
  • And a ton of amazing friends, old and new?

Answer: Spring Break OH-ten Destin, FL style!! And tips for your first college spring break, too!

Not to make y’all jealous, but I had an absolutely wonderful Spring Break. It started off with a few days of relaxing in Austin, followed by a full day of driving, and then four days of sunny (but cold!!) Florida. I went with a group of ten and it was so nice just hanging out, going to the beach, exploring the town, bonding, eating, causing chaos, and all sorts of other ridiculous things.

HOWEVER! Rest assured, I come baring tips for you on how to plan your first Spring Break. There are a couple of options, and I think it’s important to note them, because at first I was freaking out that I wouldn’t have plans, and I think the options need to be recorded thusly.

1. Go home. An obvious, easy, and typically cheap option. Solid.
  2. Go on vacation with your friends. Couple points here — I was lucky because my friends are wonderful and they planned SB because they had been to Destin before and knew what was what, but taking this option can get crazyyyyyy. Panama City, South Padre, Gulf Shores…. those places are definitely WAY crazier than where I went, and I know I personally would not have had as much fun at one of those locations. A lot of people love those cities though. Just keep it in mind.
  3. Alternative Spring Break (ASB). I know this is offered through a lot of religious organizations. Typically, you volunteer to travel somewhere and do some sort of community service project. Friends of mine went to Israel, South America, Louisiana, and I’m sure other places. These are a little trickier to find, but are totally planned for you, which is nice.
  4. SXSW: South by Southwest Music Festival. SXSW is a HUGE music/ film/ interactive festival hosted in various locations around Austin right over Spring Break. It is always a ton of fun, and you have the opportunity to meet a lot of cool people that come to Austin just for the fest. Also, there is a ton of free stuff to be had and amazing bands to hear/ movies to see/ and techy things to play with. Buy a day ticket or a festival pass and save a ton on travel expenses.
  5. Rodeo. I think this is much more a day trip sort of thing, but still. Tres fun, I’m told.
  6. Combination! A lot of my friends did this — they went home and then on vacation, or vacation and then SXSW, or ASB and then the rodeo when they went home. Any way you pair them, a good time is sure to be had.

Those are all of the major options I can think of right now. Picture of my friends and me in Destin at the glamorous Club Overboard below. More will be posted here as my friends post them on Facebook (cough cough SARAH POST YOUR PICTURES cough cough).

Here's part of the gang and I out for the night in Destin—SO MUCH FUN! I'm in the middle in the purple dress.

photo of Melissa