Sara's Blog

Did you know that I graduate soon?

Because I had pretty much repressed that thought until my friend Nikki said that she got her cap and gown in the mail the other day. What is that all about?According to the UT Co-op, for every graduation announcement a senior sends out, she receives about $20 in return. I don’t know who they’ve been polling, but in my family, a graduation announcement is superfluous. I am graduating. The only thing I’ll be receiving is inquiries into my cloudy, yet-to-be-determined future.

In the past three months, my post-grad plans have changed an embarrassing amount. It used to be cute, kind of–like oh, I’m not worried about that, my life is going to be just peachy and I’m so nonchalant because I’m a free spirit, of course. But then other people got jobs, and I didn’t. And more people got jobs, and I wasn’t even looking. And now I’m looking. The indecision is not cute anymore, especially because my parents are asking questions like, “So what are you doing the last week of July? All seventeen of your child-cousins are coming to stay in one cabin [and you will be their babysitter and they will climb on you for seven days].”

In the in-between, I am writing a thesis.

And doing my Arabic homework.

And trying not to fail Plan II Physics, which is unbelievably frustrating insofar as it requires my attention and work even just to get a B.

On the bright side, quite literally, Austin has had wonderful weather for the past week. I am pleased, since in my prior life I was a cat and basked in patches of sunlight whenever I fancied it.

photo of Sara