Evelyn's Blog

One last post :)

Hi LC readers!

I begged the Office of Public Affairs to allow me one last post! This summer has been quite busy and exciting, so I felt the need to document a few things:

Summer Internship — Academic Advising in the Business School = FANTASTIC! I adored working summer orientation with the incoming freshmen.  What a great feeling it is to find a career that I am truly passionate about?! Huge thanks to the McCombs School of Business for giving me the opportunity.

After 8 years on campus, I FINALLY got to see an Austin City Limits taping! Oh I can graduate from UT a happy woman now :) The ticketing process is rather grueling, but definitely worth it. On the Monday before we left for our honeymoon, Collin and I got to see Trombone Shorty perform. Before the show, I had not heard of Trombone Shorty, yet afterward I was enamored with the music! Amazing New Orleans jazz/funk music, and Ivan Neville just happened to show up and perform as well. This is the last season that the show will be filmed on campus — so I am extremely lucky to have attended a taping! Thank you Austin City Limits for this very memorable experience! I believe the show will be aired October 8!
Evelyn on the ACL set

Other major event was our honeymoon! Collin and I went to Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Slovakia and Hungary. All of the places were breathtaking, and we had an excellent trip. The weather was brutally hot, just as warm as Austin, but no air conditioning in Europe! Next trip, we’ll be visiting Europe any month but July! When we arrived in Croatia, we stopped at the tourist info booth to get a map of the town of Split. The staff member asked us where we were from, and when we said Texas, he gave us the Hook ‘em Horns :)  What a great way to start off the trip! Here are a couple of pictures from the great adventure around Eastern Europe:

Honeymoon
Honeymoon
Honeymoon
Honeymoon
Honeymoon

And finally, President Barack Obama visited campus earlier this week! I hadn’t planned on attending, but a former professor had an extra ticket for me. The event was very inspiring, as Obama spoke about higher education. I had excellent seats, and sat right behind U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee and U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett.

It has been a phenomenal summer! Thank you readers for spending the year with me! — Evelyn

August 16, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Evelyn