Allison's Blog

Why Allison NEEDS to play in the dirt

These days I live for weekends. My entire week is driven by the notion that come Friday afternoon I get to be Allison again. Just Allison.

As I dream of Friday afternoons in my Monday morning lecture, I fill my brain with all sorts of false ideas. Ideas like: “I don’t really have that much school-related work to do this weekend. Wow, that’s exciting..”, “Hmm, maybe this weekend I can accomplish all of those things at the bottom of my to-do list…”, or my favorite “This weekend I am going to catch up on some sleep.” Regardless of the origin of these visions of grandeur, I still seem to find myself looking at my weekend agenda on Friday and realizing that I have, yet again, scheduled myself silly.

My goal for the weekends, after realizing my defeat, is to pick one of “Allison’s needs” and fit that in somewhere amongst the productive chaos. Here is how I kept my self intact last weekend:

On Sunday morning at 5 a.m. my boyfriend and I woke up and headed out to Pace Bend Park to meet my family. These people are my support and cheer section that wake up at ridiculous hours on their off-days to come and watch me race in triathlons and for that, they all deserve to get the same medal that I receive when I cross the finish line. The TriFlex Women’s Triathlon 2010 went very well for me this year. I finished 5th in my age division and came in 38/350 overall. I had an enormous grin on my face as I crossed the finish line which I can attribute to my amazing cheerleaders and the glorious fall Texas weather. I am most certainly addicted to these races. I began racing this year and have competed in four thus far. Triathlons are an incredible strength building endeavor for both body and mind and I highly recommend them.

This weekend, my one intention from the “Allison’s needs” list is to attend the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Plant Sale. They hold the plant sale twice a year and if you are a member you may come and buy your plants a day ahead of the general public. They have an extensive array of plants for sale and my favorites are the native species. I’ll be outfitting my shady backyard this weekend. The LBJWC is an incredibly beautiful place and is a division of The University of Texas at Austin. Here is the link so you may find out more:

http://www.wildflower.org/

I will most certainly be taking time from studying this weekend to play in the dirt.

Until next time,

Happy trails,

Allison

October 7, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Allison