Allison's Blog

Dreams of listlessness

Happy beginning of the week, gals and guys.

I’m happy to inform you all that I had a blissfully underproductive weekend in which I spent times doing things such as: sleeping in, napping, running, making a cake for boyfriend’s birthday this week and creating flash cards for my pharmacology test this week.

Due to said catch up sleep and culinary endeavors, Allison will be a busy and motivated* lady this week. (*: motivation pending my alarm at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning, for now I am sitting on my couch with a large glass of wine and a spiral of notes I intend to transfer to my computer…ahem, we shall see.)

I spent two hours on Saturday morning planning my classes for next semester and I’m not sure if that lengthy trial speaks to the level of my individual intelligence or to the depth of detail involved in deriving a cohesive class schedule from the UT registration system. I’d prefer to assume that we are both complicated, intelligent organisms and that one does not possess more (or less) intelligence than the other.

Last night I realized something about the way my brain has been functioning lately. Because I am brilliant and reasonable and I decided to accept a part-time job during my first semester at The University of Texas at Austin, my time has become a rare commodity in the last month. The beautiful holes in my schedule that are “studying time” have begun to expand and become visible again since the end of my orientation phase at my job. These holes have been filled with work in the last few months and we’ll just say my less-than-essential school items have started to scorch on the back burner. Here is what I have realized about my mind lately: it has begun functioning in “moment mode.” I no longer know what day it is, but instead I know what I need to do today to avoid not showing up for tomorrow. Surely I will begin bailing myself out of this cerebral survival mode soon, but for now it’s quite interesting to open my planner and realize I no longer see days, but lists of musts. I can’t wait for a list of coulds.

Have a lovely, productive week,

Here’s to you and your daily planner,

Allison

October 24, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Allison