I’m a Resident Assistant on campus. I like my job because of all the people I have met and the opportunities it has given me to grow. I recommend the job for anyone who wants to cultivate their skill as a student leader.
Some people don’t understand what we, Resident Assistants, do. Our job is multiple positions wrapped in one. We are:
- Hall monitors (when we’re “on-call”)
- Clerical assistants (we work the front desk)
- Counselors (we’re there for our residents whenever they need)
- Coaches (we encourage our residents)
- Custodians (sometimes things get messy)
- Safety patrol (when there are emergencies they give us safety vests and instruct us on how to handle the situation)
- Interior designers (we make doortags and flyers to decorate the floor)
- Greeters (we’re constantly meeting new people)
- Hosts (we host meetings and disseminate meetings)
- Event planners (we organize events for the students)
- Friends (we grow some strong bonds in the job)
- Student leaders
- Students like you…
So you see, there are a lot of things encompassed in this job. There is a new challenge every week. I never stop learning. There is a lesson around every corner. Like the time my co-RA and I had to catch a gerbil around a room so we could put it back in its cage. Good times.
Although being a student leader comes with some sacrifices, I wouldn’t trade my experiences for the world. When you become an RA you join the League of Extraordinary Gentle[people].
We do all these things WHILE being full time students. It can get a little stressful sometimes, but I feel like it’s preparing me for the real world where I have to balance my responsibilities and still manage to have a life.
If you have any questions about the job, leave a comment below.
Applications for the RA position have opened up. Check it out!
>>>Interested in Becoming a Resident Assistant?
Visit the DHFS Website to learn more about the RA position, including the frequently asked questions.
Resident Assistant website (http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing)
Applications for 2011-2012 RA positions will be available online from October 4th through October 25th @ 11:59 p.m.
RA Application link (https://utdirect.utexas.edu/hfis/ra_app_RAA1.WBX)
Attend one of the following Information Sessions:
o Tuesday, October 5 – Duren Hall, Texas Rivers Room at 7 p.m.
o Wednesday, October 13 – Jester West Hall, Texas Cultures Gallery at 7p.m.
o Thursday, October 21 – Wagner Hall, Room 201 at 7p.m.
*Attending the Information Sessions is not required, but they do provide helpful insight on the application process and firsthand perspectives from current RAs.
The RA Application will be available from Monday, October 4, 2010 through Monday, October 25, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. There will be NO exceptions made for applications that are received late, so please plan accordingly.
If you have questions, please contact the Student Staff Selection Committee at: DHFSSTUDENTJOBS@austin.utexas.edu. We look forward to working with the new Resident Assistant Leaders!
-Student Staff Selection Committee
Have a great week!