Felicia's Blog

Note to Self #10:

[Hunting is to Texans as dancing is to me.]

My roommate’s boyfriend and I both experienced something new during a weekend he came up to visit. He grew up in camouflage while I grew up in leotards and tights.

I saw pictures of him blending into the background and pictures of him posing with a deer that was…no longer with us…and some other gruesome ones that made me squirm. I’ve heard of hunting, obviously, but I’ve never seen pictures of how–intense–it is. He then points (no pun intended) out something unfamiliar to him, my poster of pointe shoes.

“You’ve never seen those before?”

“No, they’re for dancing though, right?”

I then proceeded to haul out my dead pointe shoes and explain how you stand on your toes in the box and that it’s pretty uncomfortable.

It’s crazy to me that he has never seen pointe shoes and I’m sure it’s just as crazy to him that I don’t have deer heads mounted on my wall. So I think we’ll both stick to what we do best, him scoping deer and me tying up the ribbons on my pointe shoes and keeping on dancing.

(: Felicia

November 11, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post

5 Comments to Note to Self #10:

Ohhhh that boyfriend of mine! :) He’s sho shilly. :D

November 12, 2010
— Melody

You are doing a great job on your posts. They are regular, fun, to the point, and capture so many of the growth things that happen in college and a new town. I hope you will save them, include pictures, and make them into one of those personal books that people make for themselves. Twenty years from now they will bring back your youth which really never leaves. Good luck on finals!

November 25, 2010
— Martin

I’ll take you in pointe shoes any day. I grew up where hunting was almost a religion. I never got used to it.

November 26, 2010
— Brenda Malarek

Hey you! Make sure them thar Texicans know just how darn lucky they are to have such a beautiful, super talented young lady in their little big country! Ask your lovely mother to bring me some of that good old RED-EYE GRAVY next time you all come back to the great north west. Thank You Felicia!
Chuck the reluctant Methodist

November 28, 2010
— Chuck Crawford

Stereotyping is trite.

March 17, 2011
— Don

photo of Felicia