Bill's Blog

Why vote?

November 2nd was election day and I did not vote. Nor was I even able to vote. I am a Chinese citizen, so I have no political voice and no power of the ballot.

A lot of people believe that well-informed Americans have a duty to vote. I don’t. Most Americans have no idea what is happening in terms of the political scene and will usually vote based on the most random personal tendencies.

I’m not saying that this is necessarily bad, but it makes the connection between civil politics/duty and voting very weak. There is no difference between a vote cast by a senior political analyst and a vote cast by a completely uneducated citizen, meaning candidates are often not evaluated based on the potential of their positions. I do like the idea of a meritocracy, but I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Anyways, back to the real world. The elections happened and I could care less what the results were. I love America and all of the wonderful privileges that come with living here, but I generally feel like no matter who wins, America will still have the same problems. I can’t vote, but if I could, I would have so much voter apathy.

IDC

November 4, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Bill