Berenice's Blog

Live in the moment

It always amazes me that essentially each semester is only a little less than four months long, when I think of it on a large scale that does not seem like a very long time. Nevertheless, so much happens in a semester. So here it goes- a wrap up of fall 2010, and the semester that will go on my book as the “living in the moment” semester.

First, I can say that joining the Longhorn Confidential blogger team has been one of the most rewarding experiences this semester. There is so much that happens on the UT community every day and I’m delighted to get to share some of my experiences with the rest of the Longhorn community. This semester I was fortunate to engender some very meaningful friendships and strengthen other friendships. My friends are an essential part of my daily life and as much as a cliché as it is, I really do have not only the best group of friends but the most talented, compassionate, and brilliantly fun ones (how is that for descriptive adjective use?). Another highlight of this semester, like always, was having the opportunity to continue to work with tirelessly dedicated administrators and staff that everyday inspire me to do more for this university, the community and the world. If you haven’t had the opportunity to find great mentors in these individuals I invite you to start these relationships their value is simply priceless. On an academic note, one of my highlights of this semester was putting both of my majors into perspective and enjoying the last courses; I can definitely say that I made the best choice to declare Sociology and Social Work as my majors.

Rather than going over some not so exciting parts of this semester, I want to reflect on the growth of my challenges over the semester. A pivotal ongoing challenge is to find balance, which many people take for granted. I am 21 years old and a senior in college and as much I want to live in the senioritis phenomenon (which believe me I did plenty of this semester) I’m also fully aware of my goals and aspirations. Therefore, I challenge you to think of your priorities and keep yourself on track with those priorities. However, do think of a list that has balance. Though academics should be a priority, also think of what is important to you. I’ll always have having fun, being a good friend, daughter, sister, and laughing like there is no tomorrow as some of my top priorities. You see, for me it all comes down to this… you can have a 4.0 or 3.0 or whatever your goal GPA is, but it doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice extracurricular activities or your best friend’s birthday dinner (by the way, birthdays are a big deal- take a mental note).

As I ended this semester, I can say that it was a wonderful, productive, challenging, and best way to spend my second to last semester as an undergrad. Do you want to know the secret? Well it’s really quite simple, all I did each day was exit my front door with the mentality that it was just a day, whatever would happen I would get to do it all over again the next day. Ultimately, I lived in the moment- unfortunately; they don’t come back so embrace them while you have them.

I wish you the best holiday season, enjoy your break, reflect on YOUR semester and I’ll welcome you back next year, can’t believe it’s actually here so soon.

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it” –Greg Anderson

December 21, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to Live in the moment

I always enjoy your entries! :)

December 23, 2010
— Jay

photo of Berenice