Felicia's Blog

Note to Self #12:

[Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year.]

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas my longhorn friends! I promised it in my first blog, and here it is.

There are several things I love about Christmas: a White Chocolate Mocha in the specialized Starbucks cup with a side of coffee cake, the scent of a decorated tree, the holiday TV specials, cuddling in blankets, building snowmen and of course, the music.

Yes, I am one of those people who starts listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving (this year I was as bad as listening to it before Halloween!)But I can’t help it! It’s in my blood, I’m a Christmas baby! It’s only natural. It’s hard to describe how much I love Christmas, but I’ll give it a try.

I’m one of those tiny tots that is sung about in “The Christmas Song” (my favorite by the way) where I can’t sleep on Christmas Eve! As I’ve grown older, I’ve gotten more excited to give presents than receive. And I know it’s not even about the gifts and commercialism, I mean I do put my change in the red Salvation Arm cans, but let’s admit it–it’s fun! I think it’s the traditions that I really love.

Decorating the tree, putting up lights, making sugar cookies with your mom and watching the “Santa Clause,” and those traditions that are individual and unique to every family. “The Nutcracker” is a very sacred tradition for me and my mom and we must see it every year. She took me when I was two and I have been marked ever since then. This obsession I can’t explain, except for that I absolutely love the Nutcracker. I listen to the music all all year. I performed in it for six years and my obsession grew even more. My best friend and I even performed the whole ballet, just the two of us, for our moms last year in our living room. I was sad when I thought I wouldn’t be around it this year, but I found an opportunity!

Backstage chaperone for Ballet Austin’s production. I get to work backstage– make sure the kids are dressed in their costumes and escort them to the wings until it is their time to go on stage. All the while I am about 10 feet from professional dancers and get to watch them perform up close. And I get paid to do this? But I digress, Christmas time wouldn’t be Christmas without The Nutcracker.

I’ll admit, the 70 degree weather is throwing off my winter wardrobe, especially since Washington has provided some truly magnificent white Christmases over the years, but nothing can throw off my love for Christmas. There is just something in the air during Christmas. A festive, magical, enchanting, and well–merry, feeling. Being together with the people you care about, celebrating what I can only think of as the Christmas spirit. Joy, hope, faith, peace, love, and kindness. It is just the best, most contagious feeling in the world. “And so I’m offering this simple phrase, to kids from one to ninety-two. Although it’s been said, many times, many ways, Merry Christmas to you” (The Christmas Song).

(: Felicia

December 4, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Felicia