Felicia's Blog

Note to Self #13:

[I am the Sistine Chapel.]

It seems only yesterday I was writing my sample blogs during my extensive car ride from Washington to Texas. And here I am, packing to go back for Christmas, already done with my first semester of college– full of memories and experiences. The crazy thing is that I’ve learned so much and it’s just been 15 weeks, what is four years going to look like?!

Okay, I won’t lie, around eight weeks ago I wouldn’t have been so chipper about school. With papers to write and tests to study for, it was rough to wake up at 7am every MWF for my math class. But reflecting upon it, I realized how much I actually love to learn! As cheesy as it sounds, I truthfully had fun while studying for my UGS “World’s Writing Systems” final.

And now on TTH as 2:00pm rolls around, I wish I was settling into my chair, Dr. Jones greeting my AFR301 class with a “Good Afternoon!”. I really miss that class. It quickly became my favorite–but it was more than just a class to me. Dr. Jones established a community in a few short weeks, where I felt comfortable sharing my opinion, disagreeing with an idea, and simply feeling at ease saying hi to my classmates, many of whom I now consider friends. I don’t know how or when she did it, but Dr. Jones seamlessly transformed a class of college students into higher level thinkers. Let me put it this way, I enjoyed the three exams I took for that class. I honestly was excited to take them, and I had no stress as I wrote an essay discussing the different types of racism and types of African American dance movement. I guess I chose the right major! Not only did I love to learn about African American culture but I learned about my own thoughts, values and self. It’s true when people tell you you change and become your true self during college.

I know this is just the beginning of creating the real Felicia and I am really excited for the rest of my time here at UT.

I feel like Kevin James’ character Albert in the movie “Hitch”, where Will Smith’s character is going to help Albert achieve a goal.  Will Smith points to himself and says “Michaelangelo” and then points to Albert and says “Sistine Chapel…let’s go paint that ceiling.”

UT- Michaelangelo. Felicia- Sistine Chapel. Let’s go paint that ceiling.

(: Felicia

December 13, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to Note to Self #13:

Great insights!

January 18, 2011
— S Gambill

photo of Felicia