Chris's Blog

Kicking Off the Spring Semester

This Tuesday marked the first day of the Spring Semester. It’s great to see campus packed with students again. During breaks the 40 Acres becomes a ghost town. I was looking forward to my classes this semester, but I’m enjoying them even more than I expected. On second thought, get back to me the week when I have four tests in three days.

The class I’m really excited for is Investment Management. I’m finally learning what I really came to Texas to study. Business, especially investing, has always interested me. I’ve only now reached the point where I have the necessary background to dive into stocks, bonds, and options. The textbook and course packet are intimidating, but I’ve never had problems studying things I enjoy.

I’ve taking two philosophy classes: Symbolic Logic and Ethics in Business and Government. Logic is a required class for philosophy majors. To be honest, I’m not quite sure what Logic will cover. I’ll find out soon enough though. I chose the second class because it combined my two majors (Finance and Philosophy). I walked into class today and found out that I have quite a few friends in there, so I’m really looking forward to it now.

The last class I’m taking is French 604, which is accelerated french. Accelerated French is an hour on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and an hour and a half on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Intensive would be the best way to describe it. It’s going to be over an hour of work every night. If I learn as much every week as I have this week, it will be well worth it.

Quick note: At UT, classes are identified by a couple letters and three numbers, like ‘FIN 367′. The letters specify the type of class: Finance = FIN and Philosophy = PHL. The first number lets you know how many ‘hours’ it is towards your degree. The rest of the numbers identify the class. The higher the second two numbers, the more advanced it is.

Other quick note: You’ll quickly learn that there is no theory behind room numbers at UT. Some buildings start on the first floor, some on the ground floor, and RLM starts on the 5th. From there, classroom numbers are basically randomly assigned. It’s always a good idea to find your classrooms a few days before they begin. It ensures your first day goes smoothly.

January 20, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Chris