Felicia's Blog

Note to Self #14:

The Wizard of Oz movie offers more advice than follow the yellow brick road.

It has always been a belief of mine that movies can teach one a lot, even if they are fiction and usually glamorized. Zazu in The Lion King explained to us that cheaters never prosper and Johnny Castle taught us that “Nobody puts Baby in the corner”. However, I never made sense of the main message of The Wizard of Oz until my first winter break of college. “There’s no place like home”. Especially for the holidays. After clicking my red heels three times and boarding a four hour flight for Washington, I didn’t realize how excited I actually was to be home. As lame as it sounds, I was enthusiastic to relive high school for a day, when I visited all of my old teachers and was able to guest speak on the announcements I used to present every MWF when I was a junior and a senior. As I had looked forward to, it was fun catching up with all of my friends and their experiences at college. While I was sharing my experience, they questioned where my Texas accent was and relentlessly pointed out every time I used the word “y’all”. Only true friends would! It was all about reuniting and it felt so good.

My winter break was full of Vancouver, WA charm; complete with a trip to my favorite pizza place, reading books and sipping hot chocolate at my favorite independent book store, The Office marathon, celebrating Christmas and my 19th birthday with family and friends, and my favorite winter activity — snowboarding at Mt. Hood Meadows! I went up to the mountain twice and it’s just so fun! Snowflakes were falling as I was continually falling down the buttercup baby hill. I made a video to show everyone just how great it was. *Disclaimer: Please do not be irked by the trees comment made by my boyfriend in the video…it’s some Washingtonian humor for you! :)

Although I was extremely sad to leave home, I was thrilled to come back to UT and see my college friends. Skyping and texting my close friend Elizabeth for fashion advice had not sufficed over break! I missed the conversations and laughs we shared. I had also missed everyone on my floor at my dorm. (Special shout out to Allan who has been wanting to be in a blog!) We are pretty close knit and I caught myself smiling every time I reconnected with them after the holidays. It was also crazy to see my roommate after a month! She always has my back and always sticks up for me. An energetic girl, I have forgotten how much spirit she has and how lively she keeps things in our dorm room. Animated, talkative, and silly, things are always engaging in our room. There’s still no place like home, but it’s good to know my second home — the 40 acres — is a worthy and close second.

(: Felicia

January 21, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post

4 Comments to Note to Self #14:

Yay! :) I gotta admit I AM energetic. :P And no shoutout to Allan! :)

February 1, 2011
— Melody

Freshman year is tough, so it’s great that UT can be a home away from home.

February 2, 2011
— S Gambill

soooo good :)

February 5, 2011
— Brenden Klennert

Um that was me, that was me!!! EEEP that was so good. I’m kinda late, I know. But SOMEONE keeps for getting to tell me when she posts things! Anywhoo, love you darling!

March 10, 2011
— Elizabeth Allensworth

photo of Felicia