Allison's Blog

Phew!

I’ll admit it. Today was one of the most challenging days I’ve had in a long time. Mentally. Emotionally. Technologically…

I started my Saturday by sleeping in. How could THAT be a bad start to a day? I ran a few errands this morning: gas up the car, pick up a new french press coffee pot…all good and mindless things to do before a planned day of studying. I finished up my errands and headed to meet one of my beautiful, kind and inspirational girlfriends at a coffee shop.

We met at Lift on South Lamar and got to it. Hours of silent intensity passed as we stared at our computer screens and shared teas and sighs. And then it happened. I realized that my precious Mac is completely and utterly incompatible with the tasks assigned for two of my classes…

I did the first thing any gal who lacks IT knowledge would do…I called my brother. To be fair, he’s amazing. He knows everything. If he WEREN”T my brother I’d call him. He gave me the news. Until we could find time in both of our schedules to turn my Mac into a Mac/PC hybrid, I was going to have to figure it out myself. Which means! Computer Lab! Bless the FAC and their amazing student friendly hours! I’ll be doing my computer homework on Sunday night or Monday morning!

This situation has stretched my understanding of accommodation. Having spent all day trying to be an upstanding student and get my work done early in the weekend, I realized that I will be giving up my Sunday night dinner with my sweetie and possibly even my Monday morning workout to go the distance for my education. And even after the initial temper tantrum in which I asked myself,”Do I really want to be here and doing this?!”, the resounding answer is still, YES.

To my fellow students, tonight I toast to you. May you sleep soundly, may your hard drive remain intact, may you remember to write down all of your assignments, may you feel proud when you are ahead of your planner and may you always, always, always…remember why you are here and what you are doing it for. Hook ‘Em.

Ally

January 29, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Allison