Bill's Blog

a new kind of busy

I realize that I’ve been spoiled in college with days that start at 11am and Fridays with no class. Sure there is a lot of work at night and before big tests, but the pace is completely “your choice”. Work is a constant 8-5 struggle and I’m surprised I can keep up with it considering how much I hated 8am’s in college. The pro is that work never follows me home and there is a more distinct time division between work time and time spent at home. Sometimes I wish I could work from home at my own pace, but more likely than not companies will not choose to have this type of schedule – it’s just not conducive towards having work meetings which are essential to the success of any project. So much of corporate work is done on a team level, whereas in school, you can get by just studying really hard alone.

One of the more surprising things that I have found from working, and it may just be specific to my job since I work in a very technical role as part of Global Basic Chemicals Technology, is that I actually use all that I have learned in school. There is no way that I could have picked up everything I need to know on the job as some people have told me before, and I definitely use the programs and equations that I have studied from textbooks. From programming and using numerical methods, to understanding chemical engineering balances, to using fundamental organic chemistry, my job has taken what I learned in school and really forced me to use it to solve a real world problem. So pay attention in class. The things that your professors are teaching you are important and may seem like abstract bologna to you now, but they do come in handy in the future. That is unless you choose to do something completely unrelated to your major in the future…

Finally,  I am beginning to learn how to cook for myself everyday and to cook something that is a little bit more complicated than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I used to eat out a lot in Austin, but there are definitely less food choices here in Baytown and they are not as accessible, so I stock up on groceries at the beginning of every week and try to plan ahead for what dishes I will be attempting during the week. The hardest part about it is getting enough motivation at 5:30pm when I get home from a long day of work to get my butt in the kitchen and take the hour to make something for myself – it’s very hard not to cheat and eat Hot Pockets. I have made classic things like spaghetti and meatballs, grilled chicken, and hot dogs, but I am more proud of some of the more exotic dishes that I’ve made – like this week when I made Skirt steak and egg tacos topped with lentils and orange glazed plantains. It was a pretty crazy idea and it was fun playing with the food; there wasn’t really a recipe that I followed, I just played with the ingredients that I had available. It turned out pretty good, but I overseasoned the skirt steak so I will have to fix that next time. Plantains were amazing. Cooking for myself: just one step closer on my path to independence.

hot dogs and eggplant

hot dogs and eggplant

the taco components

tacos

tacos

2 Comments to a new kind of busy

om nomnom. looks so good.

February 23, 2011
— Raeanna

Cauliflower wins.

March 29, 2011
— Karthik

photo of Bill