Brendan's Blog

Motivation

Honestly, this whole year has been a pretty difficult one for me. I struggled a lot last semester trying to figure out what I was going to do after I graduated and I am so thankful that I have figured that out. Once I knew I was going to be going to Teach For America and then Google, I thought things would change. I thought that I would be really invested in making my last semester of school pretty memorable. But, at the beginning of this semester, major senioritis kicked in and I found it difficult to really hit my stride. Until now!

I am happy to say that I have started to gain momentum in my day-to-day life again. I feel really motivated and I am really excited for my last few months in college. For the UT Speech Team, Nationals is coming up in a little over a month, and I have to say that I am so excited to go into Nationals with the people on my team. I know that some really amazing thing are going to happen over the next 6 weeks and I am honored to be a part of it.

But, I’ve also been re-energized to be motivated in school. I haven’t been coasting by and I have to say this newfound motivation came just in time, as my first round of exams is coming up next week!

I think the path of a senior is a really special one. Every year you’re in school is a new phase of your life, and I continue to be surprised and excited by what my senior year has brought. Thanks to some really great guidance from people on the UT Speech Team, staff in the BBA Career Services office where I work, friends from across the country, and so many more, I know that I’m going to round out my college career very nicely.

It’s nice to feel energized by my day-to-day activities again. I can only hope that my momentum will continue to carry me out through the rest of this semester. Until then, I have a lot of work to do (especially in my online English class!!).

Have you ever felt unmotivated? How did you get yourself out of that slump?

photo of Brendan