Berenice's Blog

Back to reality: Invest[ed] in Texas

Spring break, oh Spring Break. I think I have a love-hate relationship with it. On the one hand, it is great to get that breather in the middle of the semester, but on the other hand, I think that ultimately it’s a quite cruel taste of freedom. Nonetheless, I very much enjoyed the time off, it was refreshing indeed. This semester has been one of the most different semesters of all. A big part of it is due to my ever-changing routine, more like lack thereof. The beginning of this semester marked the beginning of a transformational process as one of my professors called it- my social work field practicum. But, I’ll go more into detail about that experience later, what brings me here today is a reflection of last week- a true reaffirmation of my passion for co-curricular (term for my Twinkie) involvement.

The week started off my the dreadful catching up at work, the amount of e-mails and voicemails needless to say kept me very busy all morning. It was also good to be back and be able to catch up with friends and such. However, a more important priority approached the next day: the Invest in Texas Legislative Day.

In my role as a Student Government representative this year, I have been able to closely work with other student leaders who are passionate about serving the university and other students. However, the Invest in Texas campaign was a very vivid example of the irrelevancy of a title or an organization name- the real deal is that when someone is passionate and committed, things tend to happen. That’s exactly what happened on Tuesday morning as we marched to the capitol to advocate on behalf of our fellow Longhorns and university for a more affordable, competitive, and safe university. It was overwhelming to see the student turn out, with over 200 students present throughout the day and many hours of work and dedication from student leaders and supporters the Invest in Texas Legislative Day was a success to say the least. Though I had to take the day off of work, it was definitely well worth it. It was a great refresher that despite the diversity in our own individual organizations and leadership roles, at the end of the day WE as Longhorns are able to unite as one.

189000_191196080919380_181041851934803_475338_1381099_n

And that was just the beginning for what was in store for the rest of the week…

photo of Berenice