Brendan's Blog

Off to Nebraska!

Happy Monday, everyone! This is a very big week for me, as I head off to my final American Forensics Association National tournament. This is my second-to-last speech tournament ever and I can’t believe how quickly it came. This will be my 7th National tournament with the UT Speech Team and I am so incredibly thankful for the opportunity to represent the university in the competitive activity of speech and debate.

Competition will occur on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday of this week in Kearney, Nebraska. I’ve never been to Kearney but I don’t really think the location of the tournament matters. Instead, what matters are the people who are there and I can’t wait to see people that I know from across the country.

We’re going to be driving to Nebraska, which is a long drive. However, it should be a lot of fun and it’s my last van ride as a student! Two weeks from now, I’ll be gearing up for my final speech tournament at the National Forensics Association National tournament in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois. I’m not sure if I’ve already written about this, but we’re taking a TRAIN to Illinois! I’ve never been on a cross-country train ride before, so that should be really fun.

Anyway, I’m sorry that I don’t have much to share. All of my free time right now is being spent thinking and breathing speech. It’s hard for me to think about how the end of my speech career is coming soon, so it’s easier if I just talk about how excited I am. As I reflect back on my speech career…wow. So much has happened.

Are there any high school seniors reading this blog? Or parents of high school seniors? How are you feeling about “the end” of the chapter coming up? Are you excited for the next chapter? I won’t lie, I am ecstatic to do Teach For America and then work for Google, but I can’t help but feel like I want speech and college to last just a little bit longer.

photo of Brendan