Doris's Blog

In the interim…

So I’m still pretty bent out of shape about The New York Times charging for its online content. Ever since the changes went into effect I’ve replaced the Smartphone App with the BBC News and NPR. However, nothing can ever truly replace Philip Galanes’s “Social Q’s.” I could just go ahead and get a subscription but I can’t reconcile paying for something when it’s free next door.

So in the meantime, here are some activities that are replacing the NYT for now:

1. Reading the magazines I receive monthly from cover to cover. The information may not be as up to date as reading The New York Times online, but it still gives me a general idea of what’s going on in pop culture.

2. Watching The Tudors on Netflix. True, the news is almost 500 years old. But if I watch several episodes in a row it’s as if I’ve received a daily dose of local, national, and international affairs.

3. Cruising Elle.com. Sometimes I just want to click on beautiful images and read short articles.

photo of Doris