Felicia's Blog

Note to Self #16:

[New nickname for self: bee.]

There is a reason I name these blogs “note to self”, and that is because I am constantly leaving reminder stickies on my computer and feeling that wonderful sense of accomplishment as I cross things off my to-do list. When I arrived back to school for spring semester, I made the essential to-do list of goals I wanted to achieve by the end of the year. It included the usual aspirations of a freshman, make more friends, focus more on chemistry (or whichever class it is where you feel like updating your twitter instead of your notes), and the most imperative on my list–get active! I even wrote a blog about it in the fall, about getting out in the campus and actually doing stuff. Well, confession time, I didn’t practice what I preached. But this semester, as it probably shows through my lack of blog postings, I’ve been busier than ever before, and I love it! I’ve always been one of those people who needs to be continually planning, organizing, and time managing and that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. Apologies for the hiatus!

I auditioned for Redefined Dance Company in January, which is the hip hop company on campus! It is full of talent and has opened my eyes to how versatile hip hop can be. There are so many different styles and movements in just the one genre of hip hop! Like any dance group, the rehearsals are intense and challenging, but the endless encouragement and laughs from the company keeps me pushing myself to do better and makes me feel happy that I joined the team! Every single person on the team is an inspiration. I love expanding my dancing horizons so I can experience new things and have people teach me how to dougie.

As if you couldn’t handle any more performing arts talk, I have upped my involvement in Hook ‘Em Arts, the student group that supports Texas Performing Arts. I’ve come to realize how much I enjoy going to Bass Concert Hall every Monday at 5pm and listening to all the weekly announcements concerning the arts happening on campus! We get to promote the shows (Broadway, Department of Theater and Dance, and otherwise) and as a reward we get to do super cool things like shadow the stage manager when West Side Story comes to town! Definitely a perk! Performing arts is my passion so I want to start working even harder to promote arts awareness across campus and bring arts groups together! And okay, it doesn’t hurt that I got to see Merce Cunningham’s Legacy Tour for free and then write a blog about it…(: We like to keep things fun! Like having a snap battle on Guadalupe to publicize West Side Story or having a dance party on Bass Concert Hall stage! This group has also helped me realize how much I enjoy being around the arts. I know that when I’m older, I have to stay connected to the arts, even if I’m not involved professionally! If you’ve never experienced a show at Bass Concert Hall, I highly recommend it. There is a lively buzz in the air that can only be experienced at a live show.

With so many dance practices and meetings to attend, don’t be offended if I accidentally bump into you as I’m running from one engagement to the next! I’ve finally immersed myself here at UT and couldn’t be happier, which is probably why I’m doing that little happy dance down 21st while listening to my iPod.

So I guess go ahead and strap wings on me, paint me black and yellow and give me a stinger because I have been as busy as a bee, and let me tell you, the honey is tasting good.

(: Felicia

2 Comments to Note to Self #16:

Keep publicizing the performing arts at UT. Everyone can support them, and UT has so much to pick from!

May 30, 2011
— Alva Gambill

Hey girl, I hope you do end up in the arts profession, some way or other. You are the arts! Maybe you can have a well paying day job, or a sugar daddy. How old fashioned is that idea?!

June 8, 2011
— Brenda Malarek

photo of Felicia