Chris's Blog

Spring Time – Campus Jobs and SXSW

It’s been a busy month of exams, projects, and of course, spring break. My spring break wasn’t actually all that exciting. I was working at the Office of Admissions for three days, so it didn’t make much sense to fly home for half of a week. I still had fun hanging around Austin and getting to explore some of the events at South by Southwest.

First of all, I highly recommend looking for an on-campus job. In most years there are more jobs available than students to fulfill them. I have friends who work in centers for computer research, career advising offices, and athletic centers. It’s an especially valuable experience if you can find a job that relates to your major. Personally, I love my job at the Office of Admissions. Giving tours of campus is always enjoyable and my coworkers are some of my best friends. Weekends are always more fun when you have discretionary money as well.

In the second half of Spring Break, I explored South by Southwest with some of my friends who also stayed in town. SXSW is a weeklong festival for music artists, filmmakers, and technology developers. Downtown Austin is taken over by music fans donning badges and wristbands to access different venues. These passes are expensive and pretty hard to come by but there are free events to be found if you play your cards right. In the last two days, I was able to catch free shows for The Strokes and Bright Eyes. On Saturday, my friend Yomi and I happened to be in the right place at the right time and had a chance to meet the rapper B.O.B.

Even when there wasn’t a show going on it was still fun to take in the whole experience. One of the great aspects of UT is that our campus is clearly defined but it’s still located in Austin. The heart of the ‘Live Music Capital of the World’ is always only just a few blocks away.

photo of Chris