Brendan's Blog

The Last Push

As I sit down to write this, I can officially say that my competitive speech career has come to an end! And, what a ride it has been. This past week, I’ve spent time in Bloomington, IL at Illinois State University at the National Forensics Association National Tournament. And after two 20+ hour train rides, a charter bus ride, and a week in Illinois, I’m back to make the last push before college comes to an end.

I feel myself coming towards the end of school. All I really have left is two final presentations next Monday, my first certification test for Teach For America next week, a final for my online English class, and one more test in one class. After that, I’m sort of smooth sailing until graduation!

It blows my mind how crazy fast this semester happened. I can’t believe how quickly the Nationals period for speech came and went. I know that I talk about it all the time, but I am just so honored to be part of such an amazing activity and I know that I will be involved for years to come. I am excited to say that at my last tournament ever, I advanced to Quarterfinals (Top 24) in Informative Speaking and Dramatic Duo with one partner, Semifinals (Top 12) in After Dinner Speaking, and placed 2nd in the country in Dramatic Duo with another partner. On top of that, I placed as the 8th Top Individual Speaker in the country!┬áIt is such an honor to be a part of such a great community.

And, now that speech is officially over and there’s only a few more weeks left in school, I can honestly say that I am excited to close one chapter in my life and to begin another. I feel like teaching is going to be such a rewarding and challenging experience and I am excited to invest myself in a whole new side of education. Until then, however, I need to get through these last tests and presentations! My weekend is going to be spent working and preparing!

photo of Brendan