Chris's Blog

Making UT Small

A common concern for prospective students is that they will be overwhelmed with how large Texas is. Many worry about “being a number” or “falling through the cracks”. In all honesty UT is as big or as small as you make. All the resources that you could ever need are available, you just have to be proactive in taking advantage of them. Here are two stories that might ease your doubt.

-Last Spring, I spent hours perfecting my essays answers for a final. I wrote the perfect essay on the test. Unfortunately, I answered the wrong question and lost quite a few points. I emailed the professor asking if there was anything that I could do. He emailed me back within fifteen minutes with his home phone number. He spent time on his Friday night talking to me from his home to help me. He absolutely went out of his way to improve my experience in his class. Many students have similar stories about their professors.

-On Friday, my Investment Management professor invited the whole class back to his house for barbecue. It was fun to see him outside of the classroom and meet his family. It goes to show that he sincerely cares about his students. We were definitely not “just a number” to him.

The key to succeeding at UT is to be proactive. There are thousands of professors and staff members who want to help you. You just have to walk into their office before they can.

May 3, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post

2 Comments to Making UT Small

As a parent I appreciate your post. This gives me yet another tool to show my son as he heads off to a small University in the Fall. Your advice covers any school, any student – all the time. Thank you.

May 4, 2011
— CSimrell

I graduated from UT in 1983 and same holds true. I made it small b/c of the great dorm I lived in (Castalian) which is so important. I think living in the dorm for 2 years is the best idea, even if you change dorms b/c you meet so many people. Then I joined a sorority sophomore year plus an Ex Students club but their is literally a club for everyone plus now they have the figs, freshman research initiative etc so please please get involved and live in a dorm! Hook’em Horns!

May 5, 2011
— Susan Dixon

photo of Chris