Felicia's Blog

Note to Self #17:

[Work never ends but college does.]

The first Friday of this school year, while everyone else was celebrating the end of the first week of classes, I was reading an editorial by a guest columnist in “The Daily Texan”, feeling down and feeling depressed. The article was directed at freshmen, giving us details on how to have the best college experience. Instead of feeling thankful for the advice of an older student, I felt worse about myself and the fact that I had no friends. There was a sentence that surrounded the idea of “do as much as you can, you have time to sleep later, if you are as healthy as you are when you first got here, you aren’t having enough fun”. I’ll just go ahead and admit that I slept nine hours every night that week. End of pity story.

Now, I yearn for nights where I can sleep nine hours, and I can’t even remember the last time I slept over seven. But I’m happy. My group of my friends from my dorm, who I’ve given the nickname “My Austin Family”, have gone out to eat every night this week in order to celebrate random things, with the excuse “it’s the last week of school”. It will be 11:00pm, and my efficient, time-managing self will be studying and then all of a sudden, studying flies out the window and I wave goodbye to my time management self as I grab my keys for the adventure with my friends. Of course, this lackadaisical slump has oozed over into the day, consuming all students. But can you blame us?

The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, and the function of a polypeptide is the last thing on our minds. The happy dazed look on our faces during class is the visual representation of us thinking of the sweet taste our mom’s homemade lemonade, not the structure of the sugar molecule composing the lemonade. The end-of-school buzz is present and lively, there’s no denying it. If I wasn’t paying $15,000 per semester or attending one of the best schools in the country, you can bet I’d be pulling a Ferris Bueller, skipping school to eat fancy food, play the clarinet, and dance to “Twist and Shout” on a float in a parade, enjoying the beautiful day.

But don’t worry, if you slept in after staying up all night to watch the momentous Royal Wedding, or you had an impromptu 1:00 am breakfast at Kerbey Lane with your friends, Tom Petty has some solid advice that will help you justify it: “You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You’ll never remember class time, but you’ll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don’t have. Drink ’til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does…”

So carpe diem! Seize the day, and night for that matter. Whether you are leaving no carb behind this week, wearing a sombrero while eating Taco Bell in honor of Cinco de Mayo, or even watching Lady Gaga’s new “Judas” music video instead of studying for your Astronomy test, never fear, Tom Petty, the Daily Texan’s guest columnist, and I are here, and we have your back and are on your side. We won’t tell on you if you decide to play now, sleep later, and skip work altogether. Besides, sleep is overrated, and it’s the last of week of school.

(: Felicia

May 10, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to Note to Self #17:

Love the columns in the Daily Texan. And who knew that not getting sleep would lessen depression! :)

May 30, 2011
— shelby patrick

photo of Felicia