Vikki's Blog

Howdy, Y’all!

My name is Vikki and I am a 5th year senior in the School of Architecture here at The University of Texas at Austin. OK, I know, I know, 5th year? But my degree actually requires a fifth year to complete due to the sequential nature of the program.

Anyways, here is a little about me: I am from Cypress, Texas (yes, the one in Houston), and I knew I wanted to go to UT when I was about 13. I decided when I was young that I wanted to stay in Texas for school, because I love this great state, and to please the parentals, but I also knew that I wanted to go to the best school in Texas, and there is no doubt that UT is the best. Now obviously this opinion is completely subjective, so with that in mind, Hook ‘Em! Once I decided on a university, I tried to put all my ducks were in a row so that I would be offered admission. Well the day came to get the letter, and to my surprise, I didn’t get in. I was devastated. I was an officer on my drill team, a member of National Honor Society, had an higher than average SAT score, and was top 12% of my class; yet this was not enough to secure me admission to this fine university. I guess heart and determination are not something that can be measured by the SAT. Luckily, in the letter was an offer for something called the Coordinated Assistance Program(CAP). The requirements were as follows: go to a sister school (UTSA, UTEP, UTA) for a year, take 15 hours a semester of approved classes, and maintain an 3.25 GPA. So I chose to go to UTSA for my first year, and this is where I took a class entitled Architectural History to satisfy one of the CAP requirements. I was so captivated by this class, it was then that I knew that I wanted to be an architect. I guess some things are just a blessing in disguise. Once I got to UT I applied to be an internal transfer into the School of Architecture, and couldn’t be happier. So now that you know how I got to UT, here’s where I am now (10 things):

1. I am a 5th year architecture student

2. I am the financial director for the Undergraduate Architecture Student Council, this requires me to go to university wide senate meetings which you will be hearing more about

3. I have gotten University Honors every year since I have been here (I showed you acceptance board!)

4. I LOVE Longhorn football. LOVE.

5. I have a corgi named Jessie

6. I just got back from NYC for an 7 month internship, called the residency program with an amazing firm, ARO

7. I am so proud to be a part of this institution, yes even after 5 years of giving it my money

8. I am training to run a 5k, so I am taking the running class here at UT, so you might see me running around campus.

9. I am also taking the swimming class, so maybe there is a triathlon in my future… maybe.

10. I am graduating this year!! FINALLY!

October 4, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Vikki