Khang's Blog

Nine Hours of Sleep Every Night

Everyone always craves their good time of rest in their warm, loving beds. Yet late at night, we always struggle with our wearied bodies to stay up a little longer. Soon, the 1 AM mark passes. Yeah maybe my eyes are a bit droopy, but I’ll just finish this one YouTube clip.

Then the 2 AM mark. Let’s see who’s still awake on Facebook.

3 AM: Mindlessly playing Solitaire and Minesweeper.

5 AM: Start term paper due in class at 9 AM.

9 AM: Take a nap.

9:30 AM: Go to class and turn in paper.

9:31 AM: Take a nap in class.

Of course, that example above may be a bit drastic for even the most rebellious of chronic non-sleepers. But I’m sure everyone, at some point in their lives, has rebelled against their good-willed, disciplined conscience and successfully overthrown the imposed sleep laws. Perhaps I’m not one who possesses such terrible desires to stay awake that I completely neglect my bed. After all, sleep is my reward for a long day hard at work.

But lately, my sleeping habits have been suffering from severe trauma to my willpower. In high school, I had a very rigid, disciplined sleep schedule (at least the waking up part), reinforced every morning by my parents who wanted me to show up early to school. I remember many nights when I stayed up until 1 AM or so completing all my homework assignments and waking up at 6:30 to prepare for the day ahead. But no matter how long I stayed up the night before, my tired, aching body reluctantly rose from under the sheets at the correct time and wandered clumsily under the shower.

Nowadays, I have been getting a lot more sleep. My bedtime is usually around12:30 or 1. But when my alarm screams into my ears at 6:45, I budget in my head how much time I will take to shower, eat, and get dressed. Then I set my alarm clock accordingly and fall back asleep. Every morning now, for the past couple of weeks, I have digressed into this abysmal habit of waking up much later than when my alarm clock pleads me to. As a direct result, I have missed some of my early morning TA/discussion sessions.

Don’t get me wrong; I do not advocate skipping class, even if, as in my cases, the TA sessions are not required. All of my TAs have been brilliant teachers and mentors, and I have gleaned a lot of useful knowledge from them. But it is thanks to this lack of coercion from my parents and my own will that has led me to sleep in more often. In short, waking up has been becoming more and more difficult! At the beginning of the year, I seriously believed I could be the early bird, despite what my older friends told me. I wanted to have a full day that started early in the morning and ended at a reasonable time at night. I didn’t want to seem apathetic or lethargic. I thought sleeping too much was for the lazy and unmotivated.

In response to my predicament I have been trying some new bedroom methods in a desperate attempt to live up to my old goals.

• Leave my alarm clock on my desk rather than next to my pillow so that I have to get out of my bed to turn it off.
  • Add a vibrator to the alarm on my phone so that the alarm will be more noticeable.
  • Bring my breakfast to class. That way, I have a little bit more sleep, and yet I don’t skip the most important meal of the day.
  • Spring semester, no more 8 AM classes! (hopefully)

Let me know of any other tips you might have for waking up on time.

And to my friends still in high school, you will undoubtedly suffer through this obsession for sleep once you start living on your own, no matter how disciplined you may think you are now. Once your parents take their hands off your shoulders and set you free, you will understand the harsh realities of your “good habits.”

October 26, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Khang