Landon's Blog

My 5 Minutes of Fame

One of the things that I love about U.T. is that you can go to events that are so foreign to you and you can participate in projects that are completely out of your comfort zone. I feel as though being somebody who was in the College of Natural Science and then moved (happily) into the College of Liberal Arts, I have become a more rounded person because I know and understand what somebody in a different college is going through.

I have attended events and meetings where I watched Dr. Laude (Natural Science) cause a cloud to form (with thunder and some rain), as well as, heard speakers discuss the political turmoil that effect Africa (Liberal Arts). This weekend, I was able to add College of Communication to “events” in which I have participated.

On Monday, one of my friends in the College of Communication asked me if I would help her with a film project that she was having to do. I quickly said yes, after all, I need a Best Actor Oscar to round out my resume. I had no idea what to expect, what I was needed to do, or if her grade would be based on my acting skills. I was extremely nervous. As the film date grew closer, she informed me that the project was to make a 5 minute film with no dialogue. In my brain, I instantly thought of one of those ancient silent films where somebody would act and then afterwards the words would show up. I had no idea what I was in form.

Friday night, I finally got all of the details about the film. The film was going to be about Cupid who falls behind on his quota for love and so he quickly finds two people to fall in love (I don’t want to spoil all of the details in case it comes to a theater near you). She gave me a list of emotions that I would need to need act out (again with no words) and I began making facial expressions and preparing for my debut role.

So the afternoon arrived and I was “ready for my close up.” Let me tell you now that it is over, I had no idea the amount of time and work that went into making a film. I knew that it would be an all day commitment but I had no idea of how much was required just to make a movie. We started at 12:30 and finished at 5:00! We had to make sure the lighting worked, that we were not laughing, looking directly at the camera, and the sound was correct. Then as if that was not enough to have to worry about, we had to wait for people to walk by and make sure no cars were driving by. Long story longer, I have so much more respect for RTF (Radio, Television, Film) majors and the ideas that they turn into action.

It was a ton of fun. There was a ski mask involved, people falling, and giant glitter, all in all, a fantastic day. I had such a blast getting to see what was involved in a different college and what people outside of my college were working on. I cannot wait to see the final cut and how we all turned out. I don’t think this blog does justice just how much fun I had. I feel as though 10, 20, or 50 years down the road I will look back laugh and smile about how great this day was. I am so thankful that my friend asked me to help her with this project and if her professor is reading this, she deserves an A!

Ciao and Hook’em!
L

November 14, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post

2 Comments to My 5 Minutes of Fame

You never blogged about me when you acted in my movie haha

November 16, 2011
— Jared Hopper

when does the movie come out on dvd?

November 18, 2011
— Hank Dugie

photo of Landon