Landon's Blog

Our Tower, Our Beacon

Upon seeing The Tower, no matter the day, no matter the weather, it instantly makes my day better. Our Tower is as beautiful on those 100+ degree days of summer as those 30 degree rainy days of winter.

It stands magnificently against whatever sky and makes an excellent backdrop for any occasion.

My favorite Tower moments are when I see it lit burnt orange, be it just the top or all the way. Seeing it with that burnt orange glow against the night sky means that we are the BEST! No matter if it is for a Saturday win or receiving an award, The Tower is our symbol.

The Tower is our Longhorn Beacon, our version of a lighthouse. It guides us, calls us home, and serves as our foundation. Driving in on I-35, it is one of the greatest feelings in the world to see and, yes, I must admit I sometimes start singing “The Eyes of Texas.”

Just tonight, I was walking to a Senate meeting and saw it lit up from top to bottom and it instantly put all the stress about exams, struggling to find an apartment and that research paper I need to do, to rest. It helped me realize that I am at The University of Texas at Austin. A school where thousands of kids apply each year and not everybody gets accepted. I was chosen. I was given the opportunity to come here.

I feel as though The Tower gives off some kind of positive energy. Whenever I go into the Life Science Library to study, I actually think I do better on whatever I am working on or test I am studying for. It is as though the ghosts of Longhorns past are there helping you focus, focusing all of their memories and energy of the 40 Acres towards you.

In my three years that I have attended, I have seen many buildings demolished and many newer, larger buildings rise in their place. No matter the building, no matter how new or glorious it is, no matter the technological innovation or how groundbreaking it is, I will never have a love for it like my love for The Tower.

It serves as a place of work, a place of study, and a beacon for all Texas Longhorns. It welcomes us in August of our freshman year and wishes us well when we leave our senior year. No matter where we live or how far away we move, there will always be Our Tower to welcome us when we come back for a visit. I hope I never lose my excitement of seeing The Tower or that rush of energy I feel whenever I see it lit burnt orange because it is My Tower, it is there to support me and hold me up no matter what life throws at me.

Well Senate is fixing to start, so…

Ciao and Hook’em!

Landon

November 10, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Landon