Vikki's Blog

Turkey Turkey What What?

Thanksgiving break was full of much needed relaxation and sanity, and wonderful hugs and smiles from my family. As wonderful as it is to be with my family on thanksgiving day, it sometimes can be very stressful. You see, I have three homes to visit on one day, oh the perils of having a “modern family”.

Stop #1:

I start at my stepmom’s side of the family where we have thanksgiving lunch promptly at 11 every year. It used to be held at my Gram’s and Pop’s house, where grams would make the most amazing meal, complete with her delicious mashed potatoes, and scrumptious pies, but ever since grams passed away last year, we started having thanksgiving lunch at a restaurant.  I am not sure what she would think of this if she knew we hadn’t continued on in her tradition, but I know she would be happy to see us still get together and enjoy each others company. This year we went to the Rainbow Lodge near the heights in Houston. It used to be an old hunting lodge, but sometime ago it was turned into a restaurant that typically serves wild game, but was offering a thanksgiving meal for the occasion. I however did not get the typically meal, and took the opportunity to try some wild game I have never tried before. It was a delicious meal and I really enjoyed taking a different approach on the typical thanksgiving dinner.

Hendersons

the Henderson Clan at the Rainbow Lodge

Stop #2

Next I go to my dads side of the family, which is, and always has been, held at my grandparents house. I really enjoy going over to my grandparents house for holiday evens because I feel so comfortable in that house, and there are so many great memories of laughter and being a carefree child. There is something kind of cool about having a place where both you and your parent shared being a child. My dads parents are the type of grandparents that come to mind when you think of the perfect grandparents. My grandfather, who just turned 80, always has a huge smile on his face, and this really amazing laugh that is reminiscent of Santa Claus, and my grandmother is this little Italian woman who always knew the best ways to spoil us. They were always good at teaching us the importance of family, and to have love for one another regardless of the circumstances. A lot of my cousins were in town this time which made it extra special, because I hadn’t seen some of them in years. Nothing makes for a better holiday experience than a house full of loving voices.

Cousins

My cousins Sarah and Jessica

Cousins

My cousin Bree and her precious daughter Chloe

Stop #3

For my last stop of the day I headed over to my mom’s brother’s house for my mom’s side of the family’s celebration and as usual, I was late. Most of my family left about 30 minutes after I showed up which kin of sucked, but it was kind of ok because I was occupied watching the possible last Texas vs. aTm game ever. It was just me and my uncle on the couch watching what was definitely the biggest nail bitter of the season. After all the games we lost this year, and all the sorrow we had over the season, all of it didn’t matter once Tucker made that kick in the last three seconds. I ran around screaming and yelling, over joyed that Texas was able to shut up aTm for good.

Vikki family

5 generations: My Great Grandmother(94), My Grandmother(70's), My Mother (50), Me(20's), My Niece(3)

Hex rally

Possible Last Hex Rally

UT beats tamu

I was on the edge of my seat watching this game, no better feeling than winning against aTm for the last time. And its goodbye to aTm!!

All in all, that was one of the BEST THANKSGIVINGS EVER.

December 1, 2011 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Vikki