Jelisa's Blog

Motivation

College is hard.

My mom always said that anything worth having is worth working for.  Well, I’m working and I’m working hard.  I’m fresh off a wonderful semester and now I’m a bit tired.  Where is my motivation?  Where is my perseverance?

I just need an exciting pep talk or someone with extraordinary energy to rub off on me.

It’s been a crazy two weeks. Having an 8am takes a ton of strength.  I warn you, if you are not a morning person do not, I repeat do not, take an 8am class.  Its my Afro-Latino class, which I find very interesting.  Overall, I’m in love with the subject and I actually gain knowledge from the insightful reading about prominent Afro-Latin@ figures in the United States but it is tough to wake up at 6:30 to be there on time.  I’ve said this before: LIVE ON CAMPUS!

No matter what, I will do well.

If anything worth having is worth working for, then I believe that this education is worth all of this work I’m putting in.  All of the hours studying, in office hours, being involved in organizations, upholding my spiritual values, maintaining friendships and family-ships and maintaining myself can get really stressful but I know that the 5 years I spend here will shape me into a strong woman.

My friend Paulina told me that I need to make a choice to stay motivated.  Motivation doesn’t depend on how you feel at the moment.  Today I wrote my goals on a notecard and slipped it into my planner.  I took another and did the same thing and slipped it in my notebook.  I’m going to put one in my closet when I get home as well.  That way everyday I will be reminded of why I am here.

Lesson#__: Nothing worth anything is ever easy.

Life can be a bit tough especially during college but I encourage you to never lose sight of your goals.  Take time to write them down, draw them out, make a video or song and look at or listen to it daily.  It will help you to stay focused and motivated during hard times.

“Winners never quit and quitters never win!” – Vince Lombardi

True story.

January 25, 2012 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to Motivation

I enjoyed reading your post. I’ve learned that when you are committed to something, you will accept no excuses and press for good results.

Love you,

Mom

January 26, 2012
— Lenora Robinson

photo of Jelisa