Ryan's Blog

Reflection, Rejuvenation, and Resolutions – Part I

2012 is officially upon us. As we enter into the new year, our Facebook news feeds are dominated by statuses declaring good wishes for the start of the year, reflecting on the past year, and expressing goals and resolutions. UT’s winter break is nearly five weeks long, the perfect time to get back into better routines, volunteer, catch up on much needed sleep, visit family and friends, and check off lists (for me, gifts, books, and movies).

I thought I would dedicate this post to reviewing the past year and sharing my thoughts on the coming year.  Part II will focus on my personal goals and aspirations for the new year as well as some of the activities I have been up to over the break.

2011 witnessed many changes. It was one filled with breaking news stories that commandeered our online attention. Japan was devastated by a tsunami in March that resulted in unspeakable calamity. A bit closer to home, the country reunited to commemorate the 10th anniversary of September 11. The contagion that is protest spread across Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Syria, and Libya and even made its way over to the US in the form of Occupy Wall Street.

The year also featured some inspiring moments – volunteers (many from UT) raising money for and helping the Bastrop wildfire victims, thousands pitching in to help rebuild after the tornadoes in Missouri, , and families welcoming home troops from Iraq. While we still face many struggles and economic woes, there is plenty to look forward to in 2012 -

• The Election:  I finally feel like a full-fledged citizen because November 6 will mark the first time that I am able to vote for the U.S. President. I find it empowering to engage in the political process, especially as a student at UT just minutes from the Texas Capitol. It will be interesting to see how involved students on the Forty Acres will become as November approaches.
  • The Summer Olympics: I love the Olympics. What is not to love? Two whole weeks of international unity, friendly competition, and Bob Costas’ lighthearted narration along with the thrilling sporting events like swimming, track, gymnastics, and my favorite – basketball. Watching incredibly gifted athletes from numerous countries battle it out for the gold is thrilling, and I can’t wait until July 27 (the start date) rolls around.
  • The much anticipated Hunger Games movie: The film adaptation of the first in Suzanne Collins’ book trilogy will hit theatres in March, and my friends and I will be flocking to this movie. The first trailer is pretty awesome, and the cast is star-studded. I am excited about some of the other Blockbuster releases this year, including The Dark Knight Rises, a new Spider-Man, and The Hobbit.
  • The return of Texas football: Over 100,000 fans in attendance, the “Texas Fight” chant, and the beautiful sea of burnt orange comprise a typical UT football game. Longhorns are screaming, often resulting in lost or hoarse voices. In the spring and summer, we miss the Saturdays when we flood into the Darrel K. Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium or tune into the away games on our TVs. Texas was triumphant in its Holiday Bowl in California, and we’re all hoping for a successful season in the fall.
  • New you? Another great thing about the new year is the opportunity to start fresh and make new commitments. The hardest part, though, is keeping the resolutions you make. I’ll discuss some of my own resolutions in the subsequent post (Part II). Hopefully, I will be able to accomplish them!

Thank you for reading, and hook ‘em horns!

January 9, 2012 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Ryan