Vikki's Blog

Viva Honduras!!!!

I am part of an organization on campus called Global Architecture Brigades which is a volunteer organization that approaches architecture students with a design competition to design a school, or heath care facility in rural Honduras and then takes it to the community members who choose the winning design. Then the volunteers from each school then raise money to go down to Honduras and help build the school or health care facility. This January, 19 of us from UT joined 18 students from The University of Virginia to help build a school in Santa Rosa, Honduras that both schools helped design. We spent 3 days on the site building, 1 day at an orphanage teaching kids about architecture, and 1 day at a previous site to help paint. It was really hard work but I learned a lot about construction, what it means to be on a construction site, and most importantly it was the most life changing experience that I will never forget. If you want to learn more about Global Architecture Brigades you can click here.

What starts here

I don't know if the statement What Starts Here Changes the World could be any more accurate than it is here. Hook 'Em!!!

I was mainly part of the concrete crew where we mixed concrete by hand with shovels

Building a wall.

Building a wall.

This is from the day we spend at the orphanage, we were teaching young girls about bridge building :)

The is the UT crew at Santa Rosa on the the last day, it was so bitter sweet

January 27, 2012 | | Comments are closed for this post

1 Comment to Viva Honduras!!!!

thats crazy I would like to dp something like that.

February 14, 2012
— floyd douglas

photo of Vikki