Natalie's Blog

time

This semester is, by far, the most difficult of my undergraduate career. I’m on campus from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. almost every day, taking classes and working at the writing center and consuming enough coffee to sustain the Brazilian economy. Yet somehow, I’m not just surviving–I’m having a great time.

Granted, I’m busy. Busier than I’ve ever been before in my life. And much of the time, I’m stressed out. Working, taking challenging classes, and being involved in organizations is not an easy feat. Most nights, I collapse into my bed and pass out before I turn off the light. If I’m not careful, my obligations could consume every one of my waking hours.

But I’ve started to learn an important lesson this semester: I have to make time for myself. This evening, I went to my parents’ house for dinner (they live about 30 minutes away). I got to lie on the couch while my mom made soup for me. I complained to my parents about my classes, and they told me that I would be fine. When I left, I still hadn’t finished my work for the night, but I felt a million times better.

School is important. Internships are important. Research is important. But other things are important too: pizza and doughnut nights with friends, and watching 30 Rock, and happy hour,¬†and occasionally going to bed without setting an alarm. Don’t forget to make time for those things, too.

3 Comments to time

I am so glad you are having a wonderful semester. College can be hard but it’s worth it!

February 9, 2012
— Jelisa

Your blog is my favorite. I wish you’d post more :)

March 13, 2012
— Dominique

I’m Brazilian and I’m working towards going to college in the US and University of Texas seems a great option, specially because that’s close to where I went to high school in my junior year. I would like to email you a few questions, is that possible? Please, let me know. Ps: I’m glad you’re getting a coffee addiction; Brazil thanks you lol

April 21, 2012
— Ana Carolina

photo of Natalie