Natalie's Blog

The UT community garden

One of the (many, many) amazing things about going to a big school: I’m constantly discovering new things to see and do. My most recent UT obsession: our Concho Community Garden.

photo (4)

photo (3)

I found out about the community garden at some point last fall and immediately put my name on the waiting list. During winter break, I received an email notifying me that a plot was available and asking if I wanted it. I said yes*.
*Actually, I think I said “Yes! Yes! A million times yes!” Sometimes I forget that strangers aren’t used to my intense enthusiasm for anything related to food.

photo (6)

The garden is located on 2108 Concho St., a couple blocks east of campus. There are 30 plots, some for individuals, some for demonstrations, some shared, some for organizations. A few plots grow food for the UT dining halls. If you have a plot, you contribute to the garden by volunteering for one workday (2 hours) each month. You can also volunteer if you don’t have a plot. The community garden also hosts potlucks periodically, which are a great way to meet other students involved in campus environmental projects (and eat awesome food).

photo (2)

I recently planted two types of kale, arugula, a tomato plant, radishes, broccoli, and snap peas, and they’re all doing great. I’ll keep you updated once I start harvesting.

If you’re interested in the community garden, feel free to stop by a workday (every Wednesday 4-5:30 and Saturdays 11-1). You can also check out UT’s Campus Environmental Center.

photo of Natalie