Jelisa's Blog

Heartsongs

Some folks get all worked up over football.  Others love to bask in the glow of the lights on the dance floor.  I personally love the stage.  Its like enlightenment for the soul, a natural feeling that makes me want to perform even more.

This semester has been really challenging so performing and other passions of mine have had to take a back burner.  Last Thursday, I was able to take the stage again and use my passions to talk about living life to the fullest.  For Kappa Delta Chi’s Founders Week, I performed at the Latina Monologues a talent showcase used to spread awareness of cancer.   I did spoken word, something I’ve been doing since the seventh grade.  There were outstanding performers who sang, danced and did poetry as well.  My favorite thing about performing is the fact that I get to be around other artists who use their talents to express themselves.

Me Performing Spoken Word

Me Performing Spoken Word at Latina Monologues PHOTO CREDIT: Anna Huynh

PHOTO CREDIT: Anna Huynh  An amazing singer Kati.

PHOTO CREDIT: Anna Huynh An amazing singer Kati.

The coolest dancers ever.  PHOTO CREDIT: Anna H.

Coolest dancers ever.  Photo Credit: Anna H.

Among the many things that make me happy, performing and volunteering top the list.  I am content with life when I am giving of my time, effort and energy to a cause that I feel strongly about.  That is why I try to use my art as a way to connect to the world around me.  When I think about my career, I hope to do something that combines activism and art together.

Last Saturday, I got the chance to volunteer with the organization Real Role Models.  It was my first time meeting many of the members because I am unable to attend the meetings on Tuesdays.  This reminded me of freshman year when I had no fear of going to random organization meetings, events and info sessions alone.  I always had the attitude that I would meet new and exciting people.  Usually, I did.  As a junior, I am very comfortable with my place on campus so going out of my comfort zone has been a stretch for me.  This semester I have met more people through the mission trip and other events.  It’s nice to see new faces around campus and it makes UT a bit smaller.

Real Role Models at the River City Youth Easter Egg Hunt! PHOTO CREDIT: Olivia Wiley

photo6

In between studying for my biology test, I also go the chance to have dinner at Gordough’s with my friend Jordan and some of her friends.  Gordough’s is the ideal place for the dounut lover.  I got the strawberry shortcake dounut covered in vanilla ice cream.  YUM YUM YUM.  I’m still thinking about it as I write this post.

(Gordough’s Photo)

Lesson #__: In the midst of the fun at UT, there are serious matters at hand. That serious matter for me is what I’m going to do when I graduate from college.  I think about it all the time but especially when I ask someone’s major and they reply “Engineering” or “Biology”.   I sometimes feel discouraged because I’ve chosen to major in the Humanities.  I have three paths that I want to take: that of a performer/writer, professor and non-profit work but I am also interested in public policy especially with the Afro-Latino community.  Who says I can’t have it all? In the mean time, I think a trip to the Sanger Learning and Career Center will help me out tremendously.

Enjoy life. :)

photo of Jelisa