Jelisa's Blog

A Few Of my Favorite Moments

UT Signature Event! PHOTO CREDIT:Virginia Mae Thomas

Service…
On Saturday April 21, 2012, I got up early and volunteered with UT Service Scholars.  it was a tough job trying to dig and plant trees at Reilly Elementary.  I’m usually not a fan of out door volunteering but being with my UT Service Scholar friends was awesome.
Doughnuts…
My friend Jordan and I

My friend Jordan and I

538716_2747402183559_1812709619_1651005_1727738139_n
My friend Jordan and I met up with some friends at Gordough’s, on south congress where the doughnuts are fattening but worth every bite.  I’ve talked about this experience in a previous post but I recently found some photos of the time.  By the way, Jordan is a really outstanding new friend I met this year while volunteering at Black Homecoming last semester.
Earlier this semester, our old friend Rahul came to Austin from Washington D.C. Andrea, he and I met up for a birthday reunion since the last time we hung out in the summer of 2011 and gave him a home made card.  He graduated from UT about a year ago.
Me, Andrea and Rahul

Me, Andrea and Rahul 2012

Rahul and Andrea in Summer 2011

Rahul and Andrea in Summer 2011

Rahul's card from Andrea and I

Rahul's card from Andrea and I

My Birthday Breakfast with Eduardo, my mentor.

My mentor Eduardo and I caught up on my birthday.  Along with my friend Polly, I met him at LEAP (Leadership Education and Progress) First Year Program and he has become another one of my best friends over the past years.

Polly and I at my first football game!

Polly and I at my first football game!

Ja'Michael (2nd to the left) after winning! PHOTO CREDIT:Tiffany Noble

Another favorite moment was seeing one of my best friends Ja’Michael Darnell win the Mr. Black UT Scholarship Pageant.  I’ve been knowing him for almost two years and I have seen tremendous growth and promise.  I’m super douper proud.

Lesson #___: Life is not the amount of breathes you take, but the moments that take your breathe away. Spring 2012 has been an eye-opening semester that has brought me closer to my family, friends and goals of graduating.  I cannot believe that its been three years of college, three years of joy, three years of pain, three years of prosperity.  The fact that I am still at this university says a lot about not only my determination but the determination of my mentors, family and friends who continue to guide me through.
Stay tuned for the last few blog posts on finals, graduations and next semester and summer plans.
God Bless,
Jelisa

May 7, 2012 | | Comments are closed for this post
photo of Jelisa