Facts about your family:
- My brother is serving his third tour of duty in Iraq.
- One of my older sisters is a news anchor and the other is a theater/speech/debate teacher.
- My siblings are all eight to 11 years older than I am.
- Half of my immediate family are Longhorns.
- We’re Hispanic.
Why did you choose to attend The University of Texas at Austin?
I was first exposed to UT as a third grader, during a “Longhorn Saturday” visit for my sister. I immediately fell in love with the campus and decided I wanted to go to college there someday. Everything I did in high school was aimed toward this goal. Besides, UT is one of the best public universities in the country, and Austin is an amazing city with much to do and see!
What do you want to do when you graduate from the university?
Since I’m graduating a year early, I will probably take a year off for the LSAT. Once that is accomplished, I plan to attend law school and create a foundation for my mother.
If you had to choose one thing about yourself to share with the university’s Web audience, what would it be?
I’m easy to get along with and would love to answer any questions my blog readers might have. And of course, I bleed pure Texas orange!
Who are your heroes?
My mother is my one true hero. Even though she passed away, she is a part of me and I am always trying to follow her example.
If you could travel to one spot anywhere in the world, where would you want to visit?
I want to go everywhere, but right now my fascination is China. I’m planning on taking part in a journalism Maymester there shortly after this academic year.
What are your current favorite books? What books would you recommend to someone you just met?
“Lolita” by Vladamir Nabokov, although controversial, is a beautiful book if you’re willing to give it a chance. “The Joy Luck Club” by Amy Tan is also one of my all-time favorites, not to mention anything by Gregory Maguire.
What pushes your buttons? What are your pet peeves?
- Second-hand smoke
- The automatic association between college and alcohol/partying
- Making returns at department stores
- Loud eaters in quiet settings
- Bug eye sunglasses
- Slow computers
What are your favorite Web sites? Why?
- LiveJournal – Where I’ve been blogging since 2003
- Facebook – Because it really does help me keep in touch
- Cute Overload – Never ceases to put a smile on my face
- Digg – News resource for geeks
- Woot – Great deals on gadgets and T-shirts
- Eva-Romero.com – My Web site!
What are your favorite foods?
I like everything, but you can never go wrong with homemade cheesecake. I also enjoy chocolate of the dark variety.
What music are you listening to?
I am a HUGE musical theater/opera geek. My favorite classical composers are Satie, Puccini, Schumann and Saint-Saëns. Aside from those genres, I also enjoy jazz, big band, indie, film scores, oldies and international music. Just a few artists I particularly enjoy: Air, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Radiohead, Apes & Androids, Malice Mizer, Edith Piaf, Daft Punk and Flight of the Conchords.
What are your all-time favorite movies? Why?
I watch a lot documentaries, historical dramas, independent and foreign films. I’m not sure why, but I think it’s safe to say that every movie I take a liking to has some depth to it. Some of my favorites: “Spellbound,” “Amelie,” “Amores Perros,” “Secretary,” “Time,” “Enchanted,” “Across the Universe” and “Dangerous Liaisons.”
Who are your favorite artists?
As much as I respect famous artists, some of my favorite art has come from my own family. My sister Iris, who is also an actress, is amazingly talented and never ceases to impress me!
What are your favorite academic subjects? What are you interested in studying in the future?
I love anything that requires a lot of analyzing and writing, which will eventually help me pursue a degree in law.
What’s your favorite spot on campus?
The second floor of the Texas Union is always cozy, the College of Communication is my second home, and I can’t help but to get goosebumps when passing by the Tower in the evening. I love so much about this campus that choosing one favorite location is impossible for me.
Where are your favorite places to go in Austin? What are your favorite things to do in Austin?
- Enjoying the full menu at Alamo Drafthouse while occasionally enjoying one of their free promo events
- Swimming at the Barton Springs Pool
- Strolling along the Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail
- Attending shows at Hideout Café Improv Theater
- Visiting the eclectic shops along South Congress Avenue
- Having picnics or playing Frisbee on the lawn in front of the Capitol
What are your favorite free-time activities?
When I’m not studying or blogging, I’m usually engaging in one of the activities previously mentioned, reading a book, visiting a museum, eating out, or in a deep discussion with someone. I’m up for anything.
Other interesting facts about you:
- I’m spending the fall semester in Washington, D.C., with the Archer Fellowship Program, interning for ABC’s Good Morning America.
- I also go by “Evita.”
- I’ve been singing (classically) for about seven years.
- I spent a summer traveling throughout Europe, performing in concerts with a national band and choir.
- I like to recycle and often feel guilty when I don’t.
- I can type up to 90 words per minute.
- I’ve had the same best friends since seventh grade. We enjoy making silly videos together and occasionally uploading them to YouTube.