Who We Are
The goal of Information Technology Services (ITS) is to provide an innovative, customer-focused, and robust foundation for information technology (IT) solutions that enable the university community to pursue excellence in research, education, and public service. ITS seeks to establish trust with customers through professionalism, honest and open dialogue, high quality customer service, and a commitment to partnership and collaboration.
ITS welcomes comments and feedback. In response to thoughtful analysis, criticisms, and contributions from customers, ITS has been streamlining management structures, making maximum use of existing resources, and harmonizing services and processes in order to foster service excellence.
The ITS commitment as a service organization is to support the university's research, education, and service mission. To do so, ITS conducts business based on the following values:
- Deliver High Quality Services—Provide high quality, Common Good services that address the needs of campus customers.
- Foster Customer Partnerships—Partner with local IT units to share responsibility and accountability for reliable, customer-focused services.
- Establish Understanding, Trust, and Accountability—Clarify and understand customer expectations, establish and meet timeframes, and provide a consistent and responsive approach to customer requests and feedback as prioritized by the IT governance structure.
- Make Data Driven, Innovative, Customer Focused Decisions—Continuously evaluate and improve the efficiency of service support, response, and decision-making within the organization.
- Facilitate Collaboration, Cooperation, and Communication—Collaborate among ITS and various customer constituencies, encourage cooperation with customers, partners, and colleagues within ITS, and facilitate two-way communications with faculty, students, and staff.
ITS consists of the following groups.
The Applications group provides Web Operations, Identity Management, ERP Support, and Contracts services. The Applications group is also responsible for the Analyst Training program.
Information Security Office
The Information Security Office (ISO) provides information and services to help customers secure their computer systems and protect information technology resources at the university.
Networking and Telecommunications
The Networking and Telecommunications group provides a number of services upon which UTnet, the university network, and its users depend. This includes both the wired and wireless network, Internet, and Internet2 access via UTnet, the campus computer backbone network. This group is also responsible for a wide variety of core campus IT services, including the cabling infrastructure underlying data services on campus, telecommunications, engineering, construction, and building security control.
The Systems group installs, tests, supports, and administers operating system software, database software, run-time application environment software, and related products on servers located in the UDC and departmental contracted sites. The Systems group provides the university with essential services such as e-mail and messaging, calendaring, course management systems, collaboration tools, printing, and file backup. The Systems group also provides consultation and technical expertise for departments, business units, and application developers throughout the university campus.
University Data Center
The University Data Center (UDC) team operates and manages the university's state-of-the-art data center and backup facilities, ensuring critical servers are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Services for departments placing servers in the data center include co-location and value-added services, such as server monitoring, installation and move planning, and inventory support. This group also manages facilities for the university's network operations centers.
ITS Customer Support Services
The ITS Customer Support Services group provides centralized and distributed user support, including technical support and consulting services, and operates the ITS Help Desk and Student Microcomputer Facility (SMF). This group also offers on-site support and management services for departments and business units.
For information regarding HR processes and forms, refer to the Central Business Office (CBO) website.