Cabling and Wiring
Reports and Contracts
Installation Terms and Conditions
- These prices cover the cost of voice & data cables installed in The University of Texas at Austin facilities.
- These prices DO NOT cover the cost of removing old or unused telecommunications cable.
- Cable will be placed in accordance with the standards and specifications in use by Information Technology Services (ITS) at the time of the installation.
- Installations will comply with all applicable safety standards recommended by the University's Office of Environmental Health and Safety at the time of the work.
- The installation is a "Prepaid Lease" agreement covering the initial installation of the cable(s) and including maintenance during the life of the cable
- Equipment and materials installed under the agreement remain the property of ITS.
- Maintenance, repair, or alteration of the installed cables is the responsibility of ITS. Maintenance is limited to the cabling and termination hardware installed by ITS.
- ITS reserves the right to perform the work using its own employees or the services of qualified outside contractors.
What is included in per-drop pre-wire prices:
- Cat5e plenum twisted-pair structured data cable between the wall jack and termination in the terminal room for ITS approved hub/switch connection points, or other ITS approved applications.
- Standard Cat5e termination hardware at destination for each cable (base plate, wall jack, faceplate, appropriate inserts, and termination hardware).
- Standard Cat5e termination hardware at the source for each cable (connection to terminal block or patch panel).
- Cable testing is performed on all cabling to have a complete understanding of the installed media. For twisted-pair cabling, a minimum of a Level III field-test instrument is used and the cabling is tested to the category of cabling installed (test-proven Cat5e cabling supports Ethernet up to 1 gigabyte).
- Labeling at both ends of the cable.
- Fire stopping for individual cable runs at all penetrations (wall, floor) where required.
- Labor (during normal working hours) and materials necessary to provide the above.
- Normal material costs (cable ties, cable support hardware, tape, wire mold) and labor associated with the cable installation from ceiling or overhead cable distribution system to wall jack location where necessary.
- Maintenance and repair of installed cabling and hardware for the life of the cable.
What is NOT included in per-drop pre-wire prices:
- Overtime (outside normal working hours) labor. Overtime will be billed at an additional 50% increase in the labor component included in the listed prices.
- Pathway construction / non-standard cable installation. Non-standard cable installation will be performed on a labor/material basis – not per cable pricing.
- Installations of horizontal or vertical cable distribution systems between terminal rooms and end-user areas (e.g., cable trays, overhead wireways, baseboard or wall-mounted wireways, cable ducts).
- Coring or drilling through masonry or other "hard" walls or floors.
- "Power/Telephone poles" for drops at locations other than walls.
- Assembly or disassembly of modular furniture in order to install wiring.
- Facilities construction:
- Terminal room construction and preparation.
- Installation of terminal equipment, mounting racks, and associated hardware.
- Removal of abandoned cable as required by the National Electrical Code (NEC). Removal of this cable is at an additional charge.
- Activation of cabling ports is not included in the cost per cable; port activation charges are dependent on the type of service required.
- Terminal equipment (e.g., computers, hubs, routers, switches).
- Patch cables (these may be purchased separately from ITS; ask your representative if you would like to purchase patch cables).
- Connection of terminal equipment to the cable.
- Software or hardware required to make use of the cable.