Project: Group E-Mail UI / Backend Upgrade
Group E-Mail UI / Backend Upgrade Project
5/7/15 - The UI/Backend Upgrade project is an enhancement of the Regroup-based Group E-Mail solution rolled out in 2014, providing better support for new lists, improved and more consistent administrative roles, more departmental control, and better tracking of changes. This project will also position Group E-Mail to remove its reliance on the mainframe. We have completed the Requirements phase and are nearing the end of the Design phase.
The Group E-mail application enables people to send important, university-sanctioned messages to specific groups in the UT community. The system allows authorized users to contact prebuilt lists, which are generally programmatically refreshed at designated intervals. Messages must be reviewed by moderators before posting.
The existing University Group E-mail system was deployed in March, 2014. Since that time, the MCA team has received suggestions for improving this service.
This upgrade project will provide more consistent handling of authorizations and allow list owners to retain more control over their email lists, while providing for better processing and troubleshooting. It also helps toward reducing our and our customers’ reliance on the mainframe. This application will be released in production replacing the former processes for group creation and removal and membership modification. Also to be enhanced is a preferences interface for message receivers.
- Replace the existing infrastructure used to generate mailing lists in order to position the University Group E-mail system so that it is loosely coupled to the mainframe and prepares us for integration with Workday.
- Facilitate more granular unsubscribe and digest options.
- Add logging for membership and moderation updates.
- Develop a new, temporary, non-mainframe based authorization system to mitigate our reliance on Apollo. This authorization system will be replaced once Sailpoint has been implemented by the IAM team in ITS Applications.
- Add new owner role.
- Give users more control over updates to group membership, authorization of senders, and designation of moderators.