Requesting and Downloading a Certificate
Certificates are only available to faculty and staff, and are provided at no cost to the user.
Note: This procedure requires a connection to the campus network. If connecting from off campus, establish a VPN connection.
To sign up for a certificate:
- Connect to the campus network, if off campus please connect via the UT VPN network at vpn.utexas.edu.
- Visit the Certificates site and log in with your EID and EID password. Please note that this link takes you to a University of Texas System site - this is OK!
- Read the introductory text for any additional instructions, system messages regarding the service, etc.
- Click the Home link.
- Click the Request a new certificate button.
- Follow the directions on the page regarding entering your email address and requesting the certificate.
- When the certificate generation is complete, you will receive a link to take you to the Stache service (note that you may have to log in to Stache using your EID and EID password).
- Once in Stache, click the PKI link to the right of the search field to view your certificates. There you will see a listing of all digital certificates that you have requested.
- Click Download P12 and save the file to an easy to find location, such as your desktop or downloads folder. This P12 file contains your public and private keys.
- When importing the P12 file into your applications, Keychain, or Certificate Store, use the password that Stache generated for the P12 (available in the Password field). Instructions are available for importing your certificates for Firefox, Mac OS X, and Windows Certificate Store.
- After importing the P12 file into your system or application, we recommend deleting the P12 file. If you ever lose your certificates and need to recover them, they are always available in Stache.
Last updated December 10, 2012 @ 2:53 pm