UTmail for Apple Mac Mail Configuration Instructions
Apple Mac Mail 5.0 (Mac OS 10.6 or later)
Make sure Apple Mail is closed.
Go to the Mail, Contacts & Calendars panel in System Preferences.
Select Gmail and put in these settings:
- Full Name: (your name)
- Username: (your UTmail address @utexas.edu)
- Password: (UTmail password)
When you open Apple Mail, it will ask for the password again, but then everything will work properly.
Apple Mac Mail (OS 10.5 or earlier)
Select Mail > Preferences.
Select '+' to add an account.
Fill in email address and password fields.
Description: "UT Mail"
Change the drop down menu to IMAP.
Incoming Mail Server: "imap.gmail.com"
Username: "email@example.com" (replace username with your complete UTmail username)
Enter your UTmail password.
Outgoing mail server: "smtp.gmail.com"
Check Use Authentication.
Make sure that your outgoing settings reflect this Outgoing Server:
- Check the box for Login required.
- Username: your complete UTmail email address ("firstname.lastname@example.org")
- Password: your UTmail password
- SMTP Server: "smtp.gmail.com"
- Security type: SSL
- Server port: "465" or "587"
Last updated May 24, 2012 @ 10:15 am