Outlook 2010 (Windows): Setting Up Austin Exchange Messaging Service
- Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- Application: Outlook 2010
If You Have Never Run Outlook Before
If you have never run Outlook before, you need to open the program the first time through the list of programs under the Start button. Once you have opened the program and performed the initial steps, the procedure is almost the same as for those who have already been using Outlook.
- Sign up for an AEMS account if you have not already done so.
- From the Start menu, select All Programs, go to the Microsoft Office folder, and select Microsoft Office Outlook 2010.
- At the Outlook 2010 Startup display, click Next.
- Select Yes to set up an email account.
- Click Next.
- Skip to step 6 of the procedure in the next section to continue.
If You Have Run Outlook Before
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
Note: If you do not see a Mail icon, your control panel may be in category view. If that is the case, click Switch to Classic View or select Small icons under the View by drop-down menu. You should then see the Mail icon. If you do not see a Mail icon or a Switch to Classic View link, look for a Mail icon in View 32-bit Control Panel Items. If you have neither Mail nor View 32-bit Control Panel Items, use the "If You Have Never Run Outlook Before" instructions above.
Click the Show Profiles button.
- On the General tab, click the Add button.
In the Profile Name field, type in your UT EID and click OK.
- In the Your Name field, enter your first and last name.
In the Email Address field, enter your primary AEMS email address (for example, "email@example.com").
Note: If you do not know your AEMS email address, visit What is my AEMS email address for more information.
Leave the Password fields blank. You may be prompted for your password later.
- Click Next. The configuration wizard will configure your email server settings, which may take several minutes while Outlook tries to auto-configure for various email server types.
- If prompted, confirm that the server address being used is "https://wmail.austin.utexas.edu/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml," then select the "Don't ask me about this website again" checkbox.
- Click Allow.
- If prompted, enter "AUSTIN\yourEID" as the User Name and your UT EID password as the Password.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
- Return to the Show Profiles window and make sure your new profile is selected in the Always use this profile field. This ensures that your new profile will be used the next time you start Outlook.
- Click OK.
- Open Outlook to access your email account.
For more information on Microsoft Outlook, visit Microsoft's website.
Last updated August 9, 2012 @ 1:37 pm