The University of Texas at Austin
As part of the Web Central Services Retirement project, the ITS website will be retired. Information about IT services will be replaced by two new sites, IT@UT and UT ServiceNow, and ITS departmental information will be migrated to a new location. All changes will be completed by 7/28/2016.

Microsoft Academic Select 6.0 Program

Purchasing: Do I Need to Purchase Client Licenses (Client Access Licenses, per-processor licenses, etc.)?

When purchasing server licensing, Client Access Licenses (CALs) are often an important consideration. While the server license allows you to run the server software, the CAL is an additional license that allows a client (typically a device or user) to use the server.

Before buying CALs you should check to see if licensing is already covered under the Microsoft Campus Agreement. The Microsoft Campus Agreement provides site licensing of several common CALs for the entire UT System. Examples include Exchange Server, Windows Server, Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services, and SQL Server 2000.

If you do need to purchase client licensing, you have the following options:

  • Device or User Client Access Licenses

    For some products (e.g. SQL Server 2005, Microsoft Operations Manager, etc.) you can purchase individual Client Access Licenses. In addition, some programs allow you to specify whether each CAL will be assigned to a device (Device CAL) or to a named user (User CAL).

    This option is useful when you have a relatively small client-server setup and you know who will be accessing your server.

  • Processor Licensing

    For certain products such as SQL Server 2005, Host Integration Server, Internet Security Accelerator (ISA) Server, etc., you can purchase per-processor licensing. Under this model you purchase one license for each processor that is running the software, allowing you to support an unlimited number of clients without the need to purchase any CALs.

    Per-processor licensing is typically fairly expensive, but is a good option when a large number of people spread throughout the University will be accessing your server. For example, a SQL Server 1 Processor License costs approximately the same as a SQL Server standard license with 60 CALs.

  • External Connector Licensing (formerly Internet Connector)

    External Connector (EC) licenses are available for certain products such as Exchange Server and Windows Server. The EC license allows you to provide access to an unlimited number of users who are not affiliated to the University. For example, if you were to offer an Exchange server for alumni, contractors, or the general public, you would need to purchase an EC license in addition to the standard license for each copy of Exchange.

    You can find additional information on External Connector licensing at Microsoft's websites for Windows Server and Exchange Server.

Last updated November 16, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

We Can Help

Get help from an expert:

* UT Service Desk

* Call us at 512-475-9400

* Submit a help request online

We also have a walk-in service in the first floor lobby of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). Stop by and let us help you!