REQUIRED: Apple Mail - Pre-Migration Checklist
- Removing large items before email migration
- Deleted Items Warning
- Purge Recover Deleted Items Folder
Turn on Classic Layout (OS X 10.7 or later)
If you are using OS X 10.6 or earlier, please skip this section. If you are using OS X 10.7 or later, please follow these steps to turn on Classic Layout.
From the Mail menu, select Preferences. A dialog box will open.
- Click to put a check next to Use classic layout.
- Close the dialog box.
- Continue with the steps below.
Removing Large Items Before Email Migration
A Smart Mailbox displays messages that are stored in other mailboxes, based on the criteria you define. A Smart Mailbox is a virtual location, that is, messages displayed there are not actually moved from their current location.
- From the Mailbox menu, select New Smart Mailbox.
- In the dialog box that opens, name it "All Mail."
- Click Any Recipient, then select Date Received from the list that appears.
- Click is today, then select is before the date from the list that appears.
- Click on each part of the date, then use the arrows or type to enter today's date.
- Click to put a check next to Include messages from Sent.
- Click OK. You'll see a new folder called All Mail listed under Smart Mailboxes. Depending on the total number of messages you have, it may take a while (up to a few minutes) before it is fully populated.
- Make sure the All Mail folder is selected.
- From the View menu, select Columns, then make sure there are checks next to Size and Mailbox.
- Click Size (the column heading in the display of messages) to sort the mailbox by message size.
- Scroll to the end with the largest messages.
Deleted Items Warning
Large Deleted Items Folders
The migration process can be slowed down if your mailbox's Deleted Items folder is large in size. If you don't need these messages, emptying your Deleted Items folder can speed up the migration. To do this, right-click (control-click in Mac OS X) your Deleted Items folder and select Empty Folder or Erase Deleted Items.
Note: If the above search instructions identified any large items in your mailbox, this action is necessary to prevent issues migrating your mailbox.
30-day Deleted Items Timer and Functionality
Once your mailbox has finished the migration process, a 30-day timer will start, and all messages migrated will be permanently deleted in 30 days. Moving forward, all messages in the Deleted Items folder older than 30 days will be permanently removed.
If there are any messages in that folder that you may need, please restore them to your mailbox before this timer is up.
Purge Recover Deleted Items Folder
If you identified any large items using the above steps, permanently removing them from the Recover Deleted Items folder is needed to prevent any migration issues. This feature is not available in Outlook 2011 but can be done using the Outlook Web App by following the instructions available here:
Public Folder Information
Please let your Technical Support Contact (TSC) know of any Public Folders you currently manage.
Resource Calendars and Accounts
We would like to migrate any rooms or resource accounts you manage alongside your mailbox so your workflow is not interrupted. Please let your Technical Support Contact (TSC) of any resources you manage.
Additional Resources for Migration Process
You will have received notice of when your migration date is. On that day or anytime before, please make note of the following resources for when your migration process is occuring.
Apple Mail Post Migration Process
This page will detail the expected behavior of Apple Mail during the process and any steps needed to take after the migration is complete.
Office 365 Help & Support
This is the main page for support on the Office 365 project. Here you can find a list of Known Issues as well as configuration directions for mobile devices.
Last updated February 10, 2014 @ 4:07 pm