Setting Up Outlook 2011 to Use Signing and Encryption Certificates
- Operating System: Mac OS X
- Application: Outlook 2011
- Make sure that you have imported your certificate into the Mac OS X keychain.
- Open Outlook 2011.
- In Outlook 2011, select the Tools menu, and then choose Accounts.
- Highlight your mail account and click the Advance button.
- Click the Security tab.
In the Digital Signing area, click the pop-up menu option.
Note: The Certificate pop-up menu only displays certificates that are valid for digital signing or encryption that you have already added to the keychain for your Mac OS X user account.
Select your Digital Signing certificate from the list. This typically displays as your first name and last name.
- Click Choose.
- Select Signing Algorithm SHA-1.
- Once you have selected your certificates, set the following options:
- Select Sign outgoing messages.
- Select Send digitally signed messages as clear text. This ensures that recipients can read your signed messages. It is especially important if your recipient is using a Web-based or mobile mail client.
- Select Include my certificates in signed messages. This option includes your public encryption key so that someone else can use it to send you encrypted messages.
- In the Encryption area, click the pop-up menu option.
- Select your Encryption certificate from the list. This typically displays as your first name and last name.
- Select Encryption Algorithm 3DES.
- In the Encryption area, we recommend that you do not select the option to Encrypt outgoing messages and attachments by default. ITS recommends that you manually choose encryption for individual messages rather than setting it by default.
- Click OK to close the Edit Accounts dialog box and then close the Accounts window.
- Send an email to yourself as a test. Based on the options you selected, when you compose new messages, Outlook 2011 shows a lock and one of three options:
- This message will be Digitally Signed
- This message will be Encrypted
- This message will be Digitally Signed and Encrypted
- To change the options on a message-by-message basis, when you are composing a new message, click Options tab, click Security, and then click Encrypt Message, Digitally Sign Message, or both select both.
Last updated December 10, 2012 @ 3:01 pm