Configure UTBackup - Mac
Attach your computer to a wired UT Campus Network before starting a first run backup and leave it attached until the backup process completes. Depending on the size of your backup set this may take several hours or longer.
Note: Select only the files you wish to be backed up. For Mac, files are most commonly located on your "Desktop" or in the "Documents" folder.
Step 1 - Launch UTBackup and Create your Account
- The First name and Last name fields can be left blank.
- Enter your UT EID in the Username field then enter your UT EID password in the last two fields.
- Click Create Account.
Step 2 - Selecting which files and folders to back up
- Open the UTBackup Crash Plan client and log in with your UT EID and password.
- Select the Backup tab.
- Navigate to the Files to Back Up section and click Change... to open the window for selecting files and folders.
- In the Change File Selection window the Mac's hard drive will be listed. Click the triangle to the left of the hard drive icon and expand the file structure.
- To back up your User Profile folder, click the triangle to the left of Users and expand the contents.
- Locate your User home folder — this folder may be named with your UT EID or by another name if you are logging in with a local account.
- Clicking the box to the left of your User folder will select the entire contents of that folder for backup.
- Clicking the arrow next to your User folder will expand the list of sub-folders which allows cafeteria style selection of which folders are to be backed up.
- For example, you may want to only back up your Documents folder. This is accomplished by specifically clicking the box to the left of the Documents folder.
- If you were to click the triangle to the left of Documents you would see that the entire contents of this folder is selected for back up.
- Certain files or folders from selected directories may also be excluded from the backup by clearing the check mark to the left of each of those folders.
- After file and folder selections are complete, click Save.
- The files and folders you chose to back up will show up listed under Files to Back Up.
- Click the Start Backup button to begin...
Please note that you may see an indication of time left for backup.
- The back up will continue even if you close the application.
- If your computer goes to sleep, the back up will continue when it wakes up.
Note: To maximize backup efficiency the initial seeding of a backup set should be allowed to complete while the computer is attached to a wired UT Campus Network.
Last updated November 16, 2012 @ 4:17 pm