Connecting to utexas Wi-Fi: Windows 7
To connect your Windows 7 computer to the utexas wireless network, you may use either the automated or manual method provided below.
First, remove the connection for restricted.utexas.edu before connecting to utexas.
- Click the wireless network icon on the taskbar. Select utexas-wifi-help and click Connect.
- Once you are connected, open a Web browser.
- You should be redirected to a UT login page. Enter your UT EID and password, then click Log in.
- Select Click here to set up utexas now.
- Under Windows 7, click web-based installer.
- Click the green Start > button.
- A security window may pop up. Click Run.
- Once the installer finishes loading, enter your UT EID and password, then click Continue.
- Follow the instructions given by the installer. It may be necessary to enter your UT EID credentials again.
- If the installer is successful, a green check mark will appear and you can click Next.
Your computer should now be connected to the network. If you run into problems during the installation, please try the manual installation method.
- Click the wireless network icon on the task bar. Select utexas and click Connect.
- A login prompt will appear. Enter your UT EID and password, then click OK.
- A warning may appear. If it does, click Connect.
After a few moments, your computer should be connected to the utexas network. If you experience problems using this method, please follow the additional steps provided below.
Additional Manual Steps
- Select the wireless network icon from the task bar and click Open the Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Manage wireless networks.
- Click Profile types.
- Select the option Use all-user and per-user profiles, then click Save.
- Click Add.
- Select Manually create a network profile.
- Enter or select the following.
- Network name: “utexas”
- Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption type: AES
- Start this connection automatically should be checked.
- Click Next.
- Click Change connection settings.
- Select the Security tab and click the Settings button.
- Select the Connect to these servers option and enter “utexas.”
- In the Trusted Root Certification Authorities list, select GeoTrust Global CA.
- Clear the Enable Fast Reconnect option. The connection will not work if this setting is selected.
- Click the Configure button.
Clear the Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any) option and click OK.
Note: If you leave this option selected and you log into your computer with your UT EID and password, the wireless connection will use your Windows credentials to log on to the network. This is fine as long as you are the only person using your computer. If you leave this option selected and someone else uses your computer, any activity will use your bandwidth allocation and will be associated with your UT EID. This means you are liable for any activities.
Click OK twice to exit the setup windows, then click Close.
Click the wireless network icon in the taskbar, select utexas, and click the Connect button. If you selected Start this connection automatically, your computer will automatically attempt to connect to the network.
Select Additional information is needed to connect utexas. Enter your UT EID and password, then click OK.
After a few moments, your computer should be connected to utexas.
Last updated March 30, 2015 @ 2:06 pm