Behind-the-Scenes Preparation for a Presidential Visit
Information Technology Services (ITS) staff played a significant role in behind-the-scenes preparation for President Obama’s visit to campus earlier this month. With less than a week’s notice, special circuits were installed for press areas, the White House office areas, Secret Service Security rooms and more. Wireless access points were also set up for the press areas as well as for live video streaming of the President’s speech. ITS staff worked through the weekend to make the Gregory Gym venue ready for this high profile visit. After the event, Brad Englert, Chief Information Officer and Chief Operating Officer, ITS, received a special message of thanks.
"Congratulations to you and all of your colleagues who worked so hard over the past week to ensure the success of President Obama’s appearance on campus. The extraordinary smoothness of the event, especially in the face of such little advance notice, was in large part due to the truly remarkable work of your staffs. They deserve the highest praise for what they accomplished. It was a singularly outstanding effort by all concerned."
- Charles Roeckle, Deputy to President Powers
Recognition to the following individuals and teams for their excellent work:
- Facilities Design – Jaime Guerra (Manager), Julian Gutierrez and Jaime Tamez
- Cabling and Construction – David Silverstrim (Manager), Ron Hamilton, Billy Scenters, Jessie Heredia, Sean Lynch, Andre Lockett, Harold Nall, Jeremy Brown, Kurt Simmons, Conrad Sanchez, Rene Mendoza, Larry Heysquierdo and Jeff Martinez
- Pete Brubaker
- Assignment Office and Switch Room – Keith Crow and James Summers
- Telecom Installation – David Garza
- Cole McClellan (Manager), Frank Abernathy, Clayton Luckie, Jim Berry and George Geranios
- Warehouse - Dennis Muhlstein (Manager) and Art Coldiron
- CBO Business Office – Darla Chapman (Manager) and Jessica Howard